Home > Books > Pick Up the Closest Book

Pick Up the Closest Book

January 31st, 2008

I don’t much go for "tagging" people, but…well, every once in a while, there is a tag that seems interesting and fun. The reason I don’t do this much is because you always are supposed to invite a select few others. I’m ignoring that and inviting everyone to have some fun and join along.

Pastor Weedon tagged me to do this one. I just noticed it.

Here is the challenge:

Pick up the nearest book of 123 pages or more. (No cheating!)

Find Page 123.

Find the first 5 sentences.

Post the next 3 sentences.

Tag 5 people.

He will be deeply suspicious that I’m cheating, but …. here is a photo to prove it.

Photo_17If you look at the first book on the right of the books on the credenza, it jus so happens to be the Book of Concord.  Next to it is my Bible, then Wather’s "God Grant It" and then the Catechism, the Pastoral Care Companion, Visitation, and the Lutheran Service Book. Those are the books closest to me here in the office.

So…here’s what I found.

"Through Him we have also obtained access to God" (Romans 5:2, not by works without Christ as Mediator. Therefore, when it is said in Matthew 19:17, "If you would enter life, kep the commandments," we must believe that without Christ the commandments are not kept and cannot please. So in the Decalogue itself, in the First Commandment, the most liberal promise of the Law is added, "But showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love Me and keep my commandments" (Exodus 20:6)."

Article V(III): Love and the Fulfilling of the Law
Apology to the Augsburg Confession
Concordia, p. 123

Tag:
Everyone and anyone who reads this and wants to participate by way of a comment.

Categories: Books
  1. Sean
    January 31st, 2008 at 19:06 | #1

From “Inferno” by Dante Alighieri…
    Within my memory is fixed — and now
    moves me — your dear, your kind paternal image
    when, in the world above, from time to time
    you taught me how man makes himself eternal;
    and while I live, my gratitude for that
    must always be apparent in my words.
    What you have told me of my course, I write:
    I keep it with another text for comment
    by one who’ll understand, if I may reach her.
    One thing alone I’d have you plainly see:
    so long as I am not rebuked by conscience,
    I stand prepared for Fortune, come what may.
    I’m reading Date’s Divine Comedy as a part of an effort to read the classics.
    The book is full of medieval Catholic theology. Quite in contrast to Concordia!

2. Rev. Matthew Thompson
    January 31st, 2008 at 20:25 | #2

I’m attending the Basic Mission Planter Training Seminar through the Center for U.S. Missions next week in New Braunfels, TX, and one of the assigned books is “Starting a New Church” by Ralph Moore. My sentences on p. 123 are:
    “The three most important words you can memorize when renting meeting space are ‘location, location and location.’ Location is everything to the prospective church member. The place must help meet his or her needs.”
    By the way, what would you say the core values, mission, and vision would be for a traditional Lutheran mission congregation. I’ll be going through the strategic planning process all next week.

3. Rev Monte Meyer
    January 31st, 2008 at 22:08 | #3

The book sitting next to me is Jonah Goldberg’s “Liberal Fascism – The Secret History of the American Left from Mussolini to the Politics of Meaning.”
    “Eleanor Roosevelt, too, believe that a “benevolent dictator” might be the only answer for America. And it was hardly lost on the liberal intellectuals swirling around the Roosevelt administration that the enormously popular Benito Mussolini had used the same methods to whip the unruly Italians into shape. After all, the New Republic – the intellectual home of the New Deal – had covered the goings-on in Italy with fascination and, often, admiration.

4. Baron Raymundo
    January 31st, 2008 at 23:12 | #4

P. 123 in the front of Lutheran Worship:
    The eyes of all look to you and you give them their food at the proper time.
    You open your hand and satisfy every living thing.
    Praise the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits.
    Alleluia. Alleluia.
    Working on homework for a Lutheran Worship Class earlier, it happened to be the closest book to my computer. (I know its behind the times of LSB, but a good hymnal none the less)

5. Aaron Uphoff
    January 31st, 2008 at 23:13 | #5

“The rings are to be close to the rim to hold the poles used in carrying the table. Make the poles of acacia wood, overlay them with gold and carry the table with them. And make its plates and dishes of pure gold, as wella s its pitchers and bowls for the pouring out of offerings.” Exodus 25:27-29, Concordia NIV Self Study Bible
    Our dear Baptist/non-denom friends brag about having “no creed but the Bible”–it’s verses like these that lead me to give thanks for the creeds and confessions that clearly and simply direct us to the center of all Scripture: Christ crucified for sinners!

6. February 1st, 2008 at 07:27 | #6

The actual nearest book to me is right in front of me on our family desk at home…Fisher Price’s Little People Let’s Go to the Zoo! Since it is only 10 pages long, with no page 123, I will therefore pick up the next nearest…Luther’s Bondage of the Will (Packer’s trans.) which I’ve been working through again lately:
    “But as it is we abandon our judgment and swallow everything indiscriminately; or else (what is more wretched still) we reject the better and acclaim the worse in one and the same author, and proceed to affix to those same worse parts the title and authority of his sanctity – which he gained, not by reason of ‘free-will’ or the flesh, but by reason of that which is best of all, even of the Spirit only! [new section] What then shall we do? The church is hidden away, the saints are out of sight; what and whom shall we believe?”

7. Bill Dieterichs
    February 1st, 2008 at 08:56 | #7

Re: Picking up the nearest book and turning to page 123, below are the words on page CXXIII of a book titled, “Latin Quips at your Fingertips.”
    Latin: “Quid de utilitate loquar stercorandi?”
    Translation: “What shall I say about the usefulness of spreading manure?”
    So asked Cicero, De Senectute, XV, 54

8. Matthew Surburg
    February 1st, 2008 at 09:04 | #8

Well, I cheated (a little): when I first read this, I was at breakfast, and I just couldn’t bring myself to type in the 6th, 7th, and 8th sentences from page 123 of “The Bread Machine Cookbook.” Now I am at my office, with a moment to spare, and the book which sticks out farthest form the bookshelf at my right hand is (by a very narrow margin) Volume 1 of “The Lonely Way” by Hermann Sasse. Herewith:
    “There these new forms of confession must be as wan, general, and ambiguous as possible, in order to find acceptance. But nobody pays attention to them. Only a concrete, definitive confession seizes hearts and unites individuals.”
    I’m just waiting for someone to admit that the closet book at hand was the score to Bach’s B Minor Mass… or maybe a collection of chess exercises. :-)

9. Matthew Christians
    February 1st, 2008 at 09:16 | #9

The whole page is essentially two sentences, so I’ll post the 6th through 8th equivalences to sentences, from S. AVGVSTINI CONFESSIONUM LIBER III:
    Sed eos ab imperitis iudicari iniquos, iudicantibus ex humano die et universos mores humani generis ex parte moris sui metientibus; tamquam si quis nescius in armamentis, quid cui membro adcommodatum sit, ocrea velit caput contegi et galea calciari, et murmuret, quod no apte coneniat; aut in uno die, indicto a pomeridianis horis iustitio, quisquam stomachetur non sibi concedi quod venale proponere, quia mane concessum est; aut in una domo videat aliquid tractari manibus a quoquam servo, quod facere non sinatur qui pocula ministrat; aut aliquid post praesepia fieri, quod ante mensam prohibeatur; et indignetur, cum sit unum habitaculum et una familia, non ubique atque omnibus idem tribui.

10. Melissa
    February 1st, 2008 at 10:25 | #10

Page 123 of Luther’s Small Catechism (1986), [Explanation] on the Apostles’ Creed, 2nd Article;
    397 John 5:27 [The Father] has given Him authority to judge.
    4. He preserves.
    398 Heb. 1:3 [He sustains]all things by His powerful word.
    My husband is sitting next to me as I write this, working on a Catechetics paper for Dr. Senkbeil, hence the catechism-on-hand. However, I try to make it an “on hand” item anyways!

11. Rev. M. C. Hofman
    February 1st, 2008 at 10:49 | #11

Isn’t it strange that this book should be the closest one to the computer of an old retired guy?
    KATA MARKON 10:23-25
    Kai peribleqamenov o Ihsouv legei toiv mayhtaiv autou: pwv duskolwv oi ta crhmata econtev eiv thn basileian tou yeou eiseleusontai. oi de mayhtai eyambounto epi toiv autou. o de Ihsouv palin apokriyeiv legei autoiv: tekna, pwv duskolon estin eiv thn basileian tou yeou eiselyein eukopwteron estin kamhlon dia thv trumaliav thv rafidov dielyein h plousion eiv thn basileian tou yeou eiselyein.
    (First attempt didn’t go through. “Comment text is required.” Perhaps OLB Greek is not recognized? So, here goes again.)

12. Rev. M. C. Hofman
    February 1st, 2008 at 10:52 | #12

My Nestle-Aland happens to be nearest my computer. I keyed in Mark 10:23-25, but this message came up: “Comment text is required.” Apparently OLB Greek is not recognized? Gotta have a little fun in my old age.

13. Christopher Cole
    February 1st, 2008 at 14:26 | #13

Page 123 from
    “Prayer Book” of Holy Trinity Monastery; Jordanville, NY
    The Ectenia of Fervent Supplication…
    Deacon: For this holy temple, and for them that with faith, reverence, and the fear of God enter herein, let us pray to
    the Lord.
    Choir: Lord, have mercy.
    Deacon: That we may be delivered from all tribulation, wrath, and necessity, let us pray to the Lord.
    Choir: Lord, have mercy.
    Deacon: Help us, save us, have mercy on us, and keep us, O God, by Thy grace.
    Choir: Lord, have mercy. {to this- we ALL should say… Amen!}
    Prayer Books at the right hand… (with Concordia and Scriptures nearby) – is it still “OK to Pray?” – indeed, “Lord, have mercy.”

14. Carl Beckwith
    February 1st, 2008 at 14:54 | #14

Okay, this is fun.
    Here is the book that was next to me. A little bit of humor from Pieper!
    “The self-certainty theologians claim that their method is a masterstroke of systematic theology, because it brings into a perfect unit all Christian knowledge and experience. Yes, it is a perfect unit, as when the playful kitten chases its own tail and revolves around itself. That describes the situation exactly.”
    Pieper, Christain Dogmatics, vol. 1, p. 123.

15. PHW
    February 1st, 2008 at 20:08 | #15

“While it is obvious, it bears emphasis, that the time of the verb is from the standpoint of the speaker/writer, not the reader. What is present to the Biblical writer may or may not be present to us.
    The concept of aspect is often missing from traditional grammars because it is a contribution from the relatively new field of linguistics.”
    Basics of Biblical Greek, William D. Mounce, p123

16. February 2nd, 2008 at 08:34 | #16

I’m reading Charlie Wilson’s War and the 3 sentences on page 123 read:
    His idea was to be a burr under the saddle, an extreme nuisance, and he seemed very enthusiastic about this. But he never envisioned killing the beast. The fact was, in Howard Hart, Charlie Wilson was confronting a CIA mind-set that had long grown accustomed to fighting lost causes.

17. Chuck
    February 3rd, 2008 at 08:29 | #17

“In hardwood roots, more fibers and less vessels are formed where strength is required. Eccentricity is greatest in lateral roots near the root collar where stresses are high and in vertical roots wedged between stones, but decreased gradually with increasing distance from the stem. On the other hand, roots growing in the sand are more or less round (Tsoumis 1968).”
    Chapter 3.1.4 Anatomical Characteristics of Root Wood
    “Utilization of Residual Forest Biomass” p. 123

18. February 9th, 2008 at 20:49 | #18

“However, you do not need a quest to enter any of these places. Some players simply explore places of interest looking for loot and experience. The monsters inside these places are usually more powerful than the monsters in the surrounding wilderness, and they are clustered in large groups.” -World of Warcraft Game Manual, p. 123

19. Chuck Wiese
    February 10th, 2008 at 10:21 | #19

Here’s my results from The First Seven Ecumenical Councils by Leo Donald Davis
    Morever, there are some five changes in word order and sentence construction. Finally, of the some 178 words in the Creed of Constantinople only thirty-three are derived from the Nicene Creed. So, concludes Kelly, the Creed of Constantinople is not just the Nicene Creed with a few additions but a wholly different document.

20. Ken Larson
    February 11th, 2008 at 14:27 | #20

As a comment made 65 years ago, this quote is quite prescient:
    Paul Scherer, For We Have this Treasure, page 123
    What the church has to say, then, about the over-lordship of the state, whether the state be fascist or democratic; about human rights and the duties that go with them; about false and artificial economies of scarcity, with the fear and deceit and bitterness they breed; about all from-birth-to-grave techniques of security, — let her say it out of the fellowship and revelation, out of the Word and the salvation of God. “She will make for herself no easy friends,” writes Bernard Iddings [Atlantic, October 1942, page 112], “if she tells, as tell she must, those who would build the post war world: Your fine, new, mechanized, socialized, despiritualized culture is the work of children who have lost their way. It benefits nothing for mankind to master nature if the loss is the loss of human souls.”