Heaven on Earth: The Gifts of Christ in the Divine Service
I’m very happy to let you know about a new book that just hit the CPH warehouse and is ready for immediate purchase. It is Rev. Dr. Arthur J. Just’s Heaven on Earth: The Gifts of Christ in the Divine Service. It’s simply wonderful. It is deep, yet clear. For those who have wondered what Lutheran worship is all about, this is the book for them. For pastors who feel they have far too many people in the congregation who are ignorant of why Lutherans worship the way they do, this is the book they will want to use.
Many people have enjoyed Dr. Just’s video presentation on these issues. Well, if you liked the movie, you are going to love this book. As you read the deeply moving history of the development, use and meaning of the Lutheran liturgy you will find a renewed sense of purpose, understanding and appreciation for why we do, what we do, in the Lutheran Divine Service. Dr. Just covers the following topics:
Introduction: The Historic Liturgy
- The Theology of Worship
- The Structure of the Historic Liturgy
- Jewish Origins of Christian Worship
- The Table Fellowship of Jesus
- The Historic Liturgy and the New Creation
- The Psalms in Worship
- The Christian Concept of Time
- Baptism: Entrance into the Divine Service
- The Historic Liturgy as Divine Service: Liturgy of the Word
- The Liturgy of the Lord’s Supper
- Conclusion: Lutheran Liturgy in the Postmodern World
- Appendix: Seasonal Proper Prefaces from Lutheran Service Book.
The book includes extensive notes and a helpful glossary.
If you have been looking for one, single book to put into the hands of people to help them "get" what the liturgy is all about, this is it. It is paperback and is priced at $14.99. It comes with extensive charts, graphs and other helpful illustrations and photos. Rostered church workers receive a 20% discount from that price.