Home > Uncategorized > Issues, etc. …. Thank You! We will miss you.

Issues, etc. …. Thank You! We will miss you.

March 18th, 2008

Today I received the very sad and disappointing report that the Lutheran talk radio show, Issues, etc. has been canceled and the host and producer terminated.

Issues, etc. reached out clearly and widely with the unique witness and message of Christ-centered, cross-focused, Biblical, confessional Lutheranism. They had listeners all around the world, literally, thanks to the Internet.

The show provided an amazingly diverse and fascinating number of issues and topics. They featured as guests a wide range of pastors, seminary and college professors, and Synodical leaders, such as Dr. Paul Maier and others.

I always appreciated how much work Todd Wilken did keeping us informed about all the latest trends and fads and movements. His interview series with people like John Spong were fascinating! Absolutely. Jeff Schwarz did excellent work keeping the whole thing humming along.

Thanks for all the wonderful work done over the years by Issues, etc.! You will be missed!

Categories: Uncategorized
  1. Dennis Peskey
    March 18th, 2008 at 20:09 | #1

What does this mean???

2. March 18th, 2008 at 20:36 | #2

Pastor McCain:
    Why would Issues etc. be canceled? I can’t think of another show that was more faithful in its focus on Christ and Him crucified. Why would LCMS do this? I’m stunned. Ken

3. David Nethery
    March 18th, 2008 at 20:37 | #3

I read the same thing on Kim Riddlebarger’s blog . I”m stunned. I’m not even Lutheran (I’m Eastern Orthodox) , but I benefited greatly from listening to the Issue’s Etc. show and the articles on their website and journal. To me the Issue’s Etc. ministry was one of the shining lights of North American Lutheranism . It’s hard to fathom why they would pull the plug on a ministry like that with no word of explanation and no warning. They could have at least left the archived shows and articles up with a word of explanation for why the show was being cancelled.
    Very odd.

4. Rev. Bert Greenway
    March 18th, 2008 at 22:04 | #4

I agree. This is very, disappointing. Issues etc., was a treasure trove of wonderful theological articles, radio programs and more. The little magazine they published was a gem as well. Pastor Wilken did an incredible job.
    Why????
    Bert Greenway

5. Joe Warnke
    March 18th, 2008 at 22:23 | #5

I am heart-broken. I am so disappointed that I can’t even download the latest broadcasts. I am a member of the Issues, Etc Reformation Club and I received a mailing *yesterday* talking about how Issues, Etc is now on the “Bott Radio Network.” It will be interesting to see if the regular donors receive a letter of explanation.

6. Rev Monte Meyer
    March 18th, 2008 at 22:33 | #6

I too am very disappointed. Issue Etc has been wonderful and I used many of their topics for my campus ministry. I hope there is another venue for them to continue their important work.

7. Kevin N
    March 19th, 2008 at 01:31 | #7

Issues Etc was my introduction to Christ-centered, cross-centered Lutheranism. I am deeply saddened to see it go. I will be praying.

8. Susan
    March 19th, 2008 at 07:20 | #8

Well done, Pastor Wilken and Jeff Schwarz.
    What a great mission they undertook, and what golden hours for me, sitting at the feet of Wilken and his far-flung guests.
    I kept trying to tell people there was nothing on the airwaves like it. Now they’ll never know what they missed.
    Pity.
    And now, for as accessible as the program itself was, and as Pastor Wilken and guests were, it is all gone–archives (blessed archives!), web site, and all.