Home > Uncategorized > Worst Ever Vestments? You be the judge

Worst Ever Vestments? You be the judge

April 19th, 2008

FunnykateCatherine Schori, the presiding bishop of the EpiscopalSchori Church USA, has taken to wearing vestments that can only be described, in my opinion, with one word: hideous. Here are a couple cases in point. I was reading an article just now about how Pope Benedict XVI is reviving classic vestments, with all sorts of speculation about the meaning of that. One can only but assume Schori, a well known advocate of gay and lesbian "rights" in the church knows she is making a statement by wearing a mitre that is in the gay rights "rainbow" colors. I think this outfit tops this other one. But, to be fair, let’s also have some photos of 55379295_708b597821_bmen wearing hideously ugly vestments. Do you have examples that  compare, or beat, these? Send them on in and I’ll post them.

D2e4_1

B499_1

450pxchasublepurple

Rainbow_vestments

Doveballoons

Arinze0

Uglyvestment

6pfgfmu

Robe2sides
402891465_8c00267846
2049533876_7c255c4d0b

Categories: Uncategorized
  1. April 19th, 2008 at 21:48 | #1

I think I am about to be sick.

2. April 20th, 2008 at 05:14 | #2

To paraphrase Carly Simom :
    They are so vain, they probably think your post is about them
    LPC

3. Susan Robbins
    April 20th, 2008 at 06:43 | #3

‘Send in the clowns. There ought to be clowns’ didn’t mean in Divine Service.
    These aren’t vestments so much as sandwich boards. They might as well read ‘Eat at Joe’s’ or ‘I’m a loony.’ Or ‘Let me tell you about me…’

4. April 20th, 2008 at 07:50 | #4

The most hideous vestment I ever saw was of Pope JPII. They had a display at the Milwaukee Museum of Art a few years back on the Vatican, and it had a bunch of vestments. One of them was a shimmering neon purple that would have fit very well in Mama Mia. I’ll see if I kept the picture.

5. Bruce Scarbery
    April 20th, 2008 at 13:14 | #5

The multi-religion stole you posted reminds me of the bumper sticker with the one word message – “CoExist.” Paul, you can buy yours here. Unfortunately, it does not come in guy and lesbian rainbow colors like the stole. If this is not Satanic then what is?

6. Christopher Martin
    April 20th, 2008 at 20:07 | #6

Wow. Looks like something out of Willy Wonka, or worn by the Covenant in the Halo game series.

7. Christopher Martin
    April 20th, 2008 at 20:08 | #7

8. Elephantschild.
    April 20th, 2008 at 20:28 | #8

Ah, yes. ++Jefferts-Schori and her lovely oven mitt. I follow a conservative Anglican blogger, and he had a heyday with the Archbishop’s striped get up. Ouch.

9. April 21st, 2008 at 08:48 | #9

Fortunately, in the Missouri Synod branch of Lutheranism this could never happen because generally speaking, there is an aversion to vestments. Perhaps we could see some liturgical polo shirts posted.

10. wcwirla
    April 21st, 2008 at 12:17 | #10

Yup. Those are bad. Give me a Hawaiian shirt any day.

11. parishorganist78
    April 21st, 2008 at 14:54 | #11

I can say i have seen it all, but i’ve seen worse in the WELS. Pastors wearing white geneva gowns with stole and cinture.

12. Pastor Shawn L. Kumm
    April 21st, 2008 at 16:34 | #12

A few years ago the Denver Art Museum displayed pieces of their extensive ecclesiastical vestment collection, some of which are from the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries. Sadly, their current website does not have the collection online. If the DAM’s black chasible with the phoenix rising from the ashes is ever missing, well, you will all know where to look. Here is the one example they have on their website:

13. April 22nd, 2008 at 07:15 | #13

I thought ministers wear vestments to symbolize that the man is suppose to be hidden or so as not to attract attention to themselves.
    It is funny, such vestments give a reverse effect. Kinda false humility to me.
    LPC

14. Gleason Snashall
    April 24th, 2008 at 14:47 | #14

I think that the operative expression should be: “For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified.”
    However, it appears to be: “For I decided to know nothing among you.”
    There is a sense of the holiness (separate, complete, unblemished) of the message that should be delivered by these people. The robe provides a context for that message; some of these robes seem to connote goblins, witches and wizards. The message gets distorted by the carrier (L P Cruz’s comment) since there is no serious interest in letting the Spirit of Christ speak through the pastor.
    In Christ,
    Gleason

15. April 28th, 2008 at 17:10 | #15

So THAT’s what became of the coat Joseph was wearing when he was sold into slavery in Egypt.

16. Ibanez Eric
    April 28th, 2008 at 18:14 | #16

If that is so, no wonder they threw him into a pit.

17. HB
    May 2nd, 2008 at 09:03 | #17

Well, we know that the devil perverts whatever is from God, so why would he not continue in this nonsense?! Not that I’m saying that the choice of colors for the church year are handed down by God, but it seems if these libs are going to continue to spew their false teachings, i.e. on homosexuality, it only figures that they’ll also make a display of them by wearing such “costumes”!

18. May 3rd, 2008 at 09:25 | #18

Caroline Cannonball, the ever irreverent Roman Catholic blogger, held a Ugly Vestment Contest awhile back. Check out all her references.
    I am quite partial to the flamin’ Don King mitre. http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c145/solekat205/ugliest%20vestment/andrewssubmitarinze_0.jpg