Home > Uncategorized > Treasury of Daily Prayer: Coming This October

Treasury of Daily Prayer: Coming This October

May 24th, 2008

Have you ever been frustrated trying to juggle multiple books as you
attempt to have a daily, structured, time of prayer and meditation on
the Word of God? Have you ever wondered why it is that Roman Catholics
and Anglicans have such fine books for daily prayer, called breviaries,
but that Lutherans kind of/sort of do, but don’t—almost, but not quite
there? Have you wondered why most one-volume prayer resources that are now out there are so
complicated, complex and vexing to use, requiring you to turn pages
until you are dizzy? Are you looking for a resource that will allow you
to dwell richly in the Word, and engage in the ancient practice of lectio divina (divine reading)? Have you been looking
for a daily resource for a full, complete life of prayer and meditation
on the Word that reflects the rich heritage of Lutheranism with its
keen focus on Christ and His Gospel? Well, your wait is over.

Announcing the most complete resource for daily prayer ever before
provided in the history of the Lutheran Church, in any language, let
alone English. I present to you:

Treasury of Daily Prayer

Concordia's Treasury of Daily Prayer is a comprehensive
uniquely Lutheran resource for daily devotions, unlike anything else before, or
presently available, bringing together under one cover Scripture
readings, prayers, psalmody, hymnody, and devotional readings from the
church fathers. The chief benefit of this resource is that everything
for daily prayer and meditation on God’s Word will be available in a
single book, with all the "propers" for each day provided together in
the same place in the book.

The heart of Treasury of Daily Prayer is the Daily Lectionary developed for Lutheran Service Book.
Each day’s section will contain: (1) the full text of the two Scripture
readings. Using this plan nearly all of the New Testament, and about a
third of the Old Testament, is read each year. (2) Psalmody and (3)
Hymnody that captures the content, subject or theme of the appointed
readings. (4) A devotional writing from a church father or the Lutheran
Confessions; (5) on the days where a feast, festival, or commemoration
falls, a brief biography of the person (or event) being commemorated
will be included. (6) Finally, a brief prayer will be included that
collects the thoughts and themes that are seen in the day, especially
the New Testament Reading.

Treasury of Daily Prayer is designed to be equally useful for
individuals, families, and small groups with the inclusion of the four
brief orders of Daily Prayer for Families and Individuals. In addition,
for those who choose to use them, the order of Matins, Vespers and
Compline are included in the center of the volume.

In addition to the Daily Readings and Writing and the Orders of Daily
Prayer, the book will contain a section of daily and occasional
prayers, the Litany, the common canticles of the Church, Luther’s Small
Catechism, all 150 Psalms, and several other resources for daily prayer
and piety.

God willing, this will be published this coming October. We are not
taking orders for it yet, but I thought you would like to hear about
it. I’ll keep you posted.

Categories: Uncategorized
  1. May 24th, 2008 at 21:45 | #1

First the Lutheran Study Bible, and now this! You’re making me one happy guy this week. ;-)

2. Kyle Wright
    May 25th, 2008 at 04:45 | #2

My compliments to you and all who are involved in this project. My man purse (as my wife calls it) will hopefully get a lot lighter. I am currently carrying the LSB, my Bible, the Catechism, and the Pastorl Care Companion. If I could get this down to two, you will have saved my shoulder.
    CPH is really hitting the mark these days in my opinion. The LSB project, the Concordia, the Gerhard series, and the forthcoming new Bible, and now this. Coming out with solid resources, to encompass daily and church life, what a treasure we will have. By the grace of God, keep up the great work.
    Any idea as to the size of this prayer book and what the proposed pricing might be? Will be able to see some proof sheets any time soon?
    The Lord be with you
    Kyle Wright
    Stafford, VA

3. Clint Hoff
    May 25th, 2008 at 08:34 | #3

Right on! This resource will help anchor people’s daily lives in scripture and prayer, that, in turn, helps produce true piety (not pietism) something our church always needs.

4. Tapani Simojoki
    May 25th, 2008 at 09:11 | #4

This sounds interesting indeed. Apart from the obvious formal differences, could you outline the main reason why I should opt for this rather than the products from the ALPB (For All the Saints/Daily Prayer of the Church)?
    McCain: I would say that the obvious formal reasons are the reasons this is a superior product: better system of readings, more consistently Lutheran selection of readings from the Fathers. One book, not two. If memory serves, shortly after purchasing the ALPB volumes I came to Maundy Thursday and it featured John Calvin as the “reading” for the day. No thanks!

5. May 25th, 2008 at 15:30 | #5

Did I read that right? Psalmody? Hymnody? LSB Matins, Vespers, and Compline?
    Is there an accompaniment edition? I kid, I kid!
    Price it right, and I might get a copy for the house and one for my travel bag. Thanks. :)

6. May 25th, 2008 at 20:22 | #6

Hurray! THANK YOU! Not only will we plan on buying one for our house, but it sounds like something that would make a fabulous confirmation gift, too.
    Just one question: how many ribbons will it have? (Just kidding; I don’t care.)

7. Michael L. Anderson
    May 26th, 2008 at 11:43 | #7

This is better news than B. Thomson’s homerun against dem Bums, in 1951. “Oh, doctor!”
    CPH has done it yet again, in a time of pressing stresses from many quarters. Rejoice and thank God! And again I say, rejoice!

8. Becky
    May 27th, 2008 at 03:57 | #8

I’m excited about this one! Thanks for the info.

9. David Charlton
    May 27th, 2008 at 09:36 | #9

Actually, there are 4 volumes of the ALPB product. It is good, but I would also like a smaller and more specifically Lutheran prayer book. I can see myself purchasing a copy for my parents, siblings, neices and nephews, as well as members of council, etc… (Not all at once of course!)
    McCain:
    More specifically Lutheran? Check.
    One volume? Check.
    Easier to use? Check.
    Smaller? No can do. It is going to be a LARGE volume, but it will be one book. And it will cost less than having to buy four books.

10. David Charlton
    May 27th, 2008 at 09:38 | #10

11. Rebellious Pastor’s Wife
    May 28th, 2008 at 11:55 | #11

Yeah, leave it to a Giants fan to have to hold on to something that happened in 1951…. :)
    This sounds amazing! We’re looking forward to it.
    Go Dodgers!

12. Rebellious Pastor’s Wife
    May 28th, 2008 at 11:55 | #12

This sounds amazing! We’re looking forward to it.
    Go Dodgers!

13. Bob Roberts
    May 29th, 2008 at 10:45 | #13

My wife and I have been using Lindemann’s Daily Office for forty years. I keep buying updatings — Sauer, Kraus, ALPB — and keep coming back to Lindemann. How will this one better suit my needs?
    McCain: Unlike Lindemann, this book contains everything in one book: all Scripture readings, hymns, liturgies, Psalms, etc. Lindemann does not. Lindemann is a kind of/sort of Lutheran Breviary, but not quite there. TDP is. Hope that helps.

14. May 30th, 2008 at 23:49 | #14

Lindeman, Kraus, et al have been like guidebooks. They give you plans of what you can do, and you get to pull out the primary source volumes, set your bookmarks and begin your structured devotion moving from one book to another, or from multiple places in the book–Doberstien’s Minister’s Prayer Book is a prime example. Sauer’s 2 volume Daily Prayer is the closest to what the Treasury will be, and even then it isn’t really.
    As has been said, the Treasury is built upon the LSB *Daily* Lectionary. It is truly our only ‘neutral’ lectionary and will not conflict with any of the Sunday & festival lectionaries used among us. Over the course of a year, if you use the Treasury “straight up”, for your daily devotion you will read through roughly 1/3 of the Old Testament 90% of the New. The daily propers have then been compiled to support (in order of priority) one of the readings, a general theme presented in one of the readings, or the feast/festival/season of the Church Year.
    The Daily Propers include the entire texts. The propers for each day are:
    Psalmody-selected from all 150 Psalms and pointed (LSB format) for chanting.
    Old Testament Reading
    New Testament Reading
    A Writing from a church father
    Hymnody-one, sometimes two stanzas of a hymn
    Prayer of the Day-mostly selected from among the collects written for LSB, but over a hundred new collects-especially to honor the full(er) list of commemorations developed for LSB.
    A Biography-a short historical and devotional biography of the saint or festival day is included when appropriate.
    There are also some suggestions for further study/meditation, including, an additional Psalm, additional Scripture reading as suggested by the LSB Daily Lectionary, and a schedule for reading through the Confessions over the course of a year.
    This post has become long enough. I would be most willing to answer any specific questions about the Treasury either here on on the FaceBook discussion (http://tinyurl.com/5cmsej).
    ScotK
    General Editor, Treasury of Daily Prayer

15. Bob Roberts
    June 2nd, 2008 at 08:20 | #15

Things I like about Lindeman:
    Hymns,prayers and psalms for morning and evening–about three verses per hymn, morning collects include the appointed TLH collect unless a litany replaces the prayers, then the proper collect is in the evening;
    TLH daily lectionary–thus no overlap with appointed lessons for Divine Service;
    THE LAMINATED BOOKMARKS! I would have worn out the books many times over were it not for Matins and Vespers on bookmarks, obviating daily use of just a few pages–is there any way in which something similar can be provided for the new resource? I’ll pay extra! (I am on my third set of Lindeman bookmarks. Even laminations wear out).
    I would be very happy with an updated Lindeman, with ESV, LSB collects and lectionary–and it seems that this “Treasury” comes close. I am assuming separate psalms for morning and evening, and a day’s propers not jumbled together, but divided for Matins and Vespers.
    I could do without pointings and readings from the fathers, but I would not greatly object, as long as the book remained a usable size–in other words, portable, so that I could carry it in a parka pocket or a briefcase.
    Now a request: could this resource be available as an ebook, in mobi or html format, or even as pdf or rtf–as a last resort in Amazon’s Kindle format? This would obviate weight problems. I don’t have a Kindle, but this might tip some scales. I do most of my ereading on a laptop or a pda, and am strongly attracted to the new, and reasonably priced readers coming out from Astak this summer, but would spend the extra for Kindle if that were the only way a could use this resource.
    Bob Roberts

16. June 6th, 2008 at 20:33 | #16

I’ll be snapping up at least one copy of this, maybe more, the moment it’s available. Keep us posted! And thanks.
    Any chance for bulk discounts, for example if a church wanted to buy a caseload of them and give them away to members?