Home > CPH Resources > Growing in Worship: New Worship Folder for Children

Growing in Worship: New Worship Folder for Children

September 19th, 2008

Giw_advent_sample
I’m really pleased to be able to show you a great new resource from Concordia Publishing House. It is titled “Growing in Worship” and is a four page weekly worship folder that can be handed to every child attending the worship service in your congregation. Deaconess Pamela Nielsen, and her team of editors, have prepared this resource for our church.

It is designed to enhance their engagement in, and understanding of, the church’s worship life. You can read more about it here and see a copy of one of the issues. This resource supports the Lutheran Service Book's three year lectionary readings. If you sign up now, your first issue will come to begin using them starting on the second Sunday in Advent, this year.

Here is a complete preview of the first issue.

More details:

“Growing in Worship provides children with a weekly guide to the words, actions, people and Bible stories they encounter in worship each Sunday. It engages their minds and their spirits with Christ as He is encountered each week in Word and Sacrament, and then sends them home with Christ–centered ideas and suggestions for the week ahead. Every congregation should get Growing in Worship. It is truly a wonderful resource for our children!”
— Revs. David Johnson and Jon Vieker LCMS Commission on Worship

Categories: CPH Resources
  1. September 19th, 2008 at 16:33 | #1

I was initially disappointed that I couldn’t order this in quantities small enough for my congregation, but since we’re going to the one year lectionary, it’s unfortunately useless to me.
    I suppose the market share of the one year isn’t sufficient to provide this for it. Production costs would be a one time thing…

2. C. Hoff
    September 19th, 2008 at 20:53 | #2

This is an excellent idea. Catechesis. Catechesis. Catechesis.

3. September 20th, 2008 at 11:21 | #3

I like it. It’s better than the other childrens’ “bulletin”.
    Now if I can just get together with another local church or two to share the subscription. I like that the other “bulletin” I can get a master and make copies myself. It would be nice if this one had it too… in color of course.

4. Rev. Brian Crane
    September 22nd, 2008 at 13:40 | #4

This looks really good, and I am interested in purchasing this for my congregation. How will this series handle the church festivals that fall on “green Sundays.” For example, the Confession of St. Peter and the Conversion of St. Paul both fall on Sunday in January next year. Will the “Growing in Worship” folder observe these festivals, or will it follow the regular Sunday propers instead, in this case the Second and Third Sundays after the Epiphany, respectively?
    Thank you.
    Pastor Brian Crane
    St. Peter Lutheran Church, Hilbert, WI
    McCain Response:
    Brian, if you take a look at p. xi of Lutheran Service Book, the fine print at the bottom of the page, you will see there the rubric that we follow here when it comes to knowing when a festival “trumps” a regular Sunday in the Church Year. That’s what Growing in Worship will follow.

5. Bob Myers
    October 3rd, 2008 at 06:08 | #5

Hurray, our church is ordering it! We look forward to using it with our grandson. I couldn’t agree more with C. Hoff, “catechesis, catechesis, catechesis.”

6. October 3rd, 2008 at 19:09 | #6

UPDATE: They are now available in smaller quantities! Thank you CPH :)
    We’re not as small a church as some, but even still, we would be hard-pressed to find 25 kids in that age group at church on any given Sunday. 10 works out perfectly for us :D