Home > Culture > Wrong or right? You decide.

Wrong or right? You decide.

November 11th, 2008

So, we all know that mayonnaise is not health food, yet how many of us have slathered it on our sandwiches. I was shocked in Germany to be asked at the McDonalds by the person at the counter, after ordering "pommes" (fries), "Mit mayo?" And I blurted out, "Was?" She said, again, "Mit mayo?" and then immediately added, in English, "Would you like mayo with your fries?" Sure, sounded interesting. I hated it. On the other hand….if they had offered this. I tried to visit the baconnaise web site, and obviously they are being flooded by hits, due, no doubt, to Amazon mentioning this product.

Baconnaise3pack

America: land of the free, and home of the brave, and Baconnaise!

Categories: Culture
  1. November 11th, 2008 at 06:33 | #1

I’ve heard of mayo on fries, but I don’t like it. I much rather prefer blue cheese and chopped garlic. :)

2. Rev. Michael Mohr
    November 11th, 2008 at 07:58 | #2

Mayo on fries? Probably not, even if it is bacon flavored. But I was at a restaurant in DC that offered ranch dressing as a dip for your fries. I was intrigued. Not that bad. (Still alternated with the catsup/ketchup dipped, though.)

3. Rev Dennis Voss
    November 11th, 2008 at 11:19 | #3

I don’t use ketchup on my fries. Seldom use ketchup period. But I do like to dip, if it available, my fries, especially Pommes, which aren’t good for you anyway, in mayo.

4. November 11th, 2008 at 12:06 | #4

Mayo on fries is good – but only if it’s REAL mayo, not that glop sold as “healthy” that’s full of all sorts of garbage and corn syrup.
    I’ll skip the baconnaise. What next? Brandy-flavored Vegemite?

5. Don Kirchner
    November 11th, 2008 at 14:56 | #5

25 years ago, I remember visiting The Netherlands seashore and eating a fresh herring sandwich and fries with mayo.
    When in Rome…

6. G
    November 12th, 2008 at 10:11 | #6

As much as I don’t appreciate mayo on fries, mayo’s close cousin tartar sauce is a natural flavour match, I believe stemming from the combination of fish and chips.

7. November 12th, 2008 at 20:19 | #7

I’ve heard that, in Canada, they serve french fries with cheese curds and gravy on them. I guess the farther north you live, the more fat you need in your diet.