Home > Coffee > New Coffee Maker

New Coffee Maker

November 16th, 2008

25_full
This blog refrains from posts that deal with matters of relative trivia, but does not hesitate to report on important news and information. This is important. A new coffee maker now graces the McCain Manse. The journey toward its purchase began with a post or two by Diane Meyer, of Respublica, as she recounted her quest for a new coffee maker. I began musing on the need to replace our machine, but delayed it far too long. I launched my search in earnest a few weeks ago when our Krupss began to lose its ability to heat water to the perfect coffee-making temperature. I was baffled, since the machine was only twenty one years old! Seriously, the Krupps was purchased back in 1987.
    In its place now stands the Brew Central™ 12-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker by Cuisinart, which was on sale at Sam's for only $50, an excellent sale price. I did quite a bit of research, and this model kept coming up on the high-side of consumer reviews. Of course, the ultimate coffee experience is the French Press, but that takes too much time on the hurry-up-and-get-in-the-car mornings. Or when you just want coffee, now! The new machine is doing a great job. I'm particuarly impressed at how well it does on the four-cup setting. Either on 12 or 4 cup setting, the machine makes very hot coffee, not too hot, but definitely hot. It has a built in water filter, nice touch. And it is programmable, and very easy to get to the filter and basket holding the filter. The caraffe has a wonderful pouring lip: no drips or spills. And the hot plate is adjustable, so you can set it to high to keep the coffee piping hot, assuming there is anything left in the pot after the first couple of pours. All in all, I'm very pleased.

Categories: Coffee
  1. November 16th, 2008 at 07:57 | #1

Nice. That’s the exact model I used to brew the cup which rests exactly a foot and a half from my laptop, but within reach of my left hand to deliver my morning motion potion to my otherwise dormant corpse.

2. Ted Badje
    November 16th, 2008 at 21:44 | #2

Hey, you gotta appease the Scandinavians who like their kaffee klatches ;-). I liked the movie ‘I Remember Mama’ with the constant references to coffee.

3. November 17th, 2008 at 05:38 | #3

I’ve had mine about a year now and it still does a good job of making hot coffee. You’re right about the reviews which gave this one a thumbs up. And, it brews rather quickly as well.

4. Billye
    November 17th, 2008 at 08:48 | #4

There is nothing like that first cup of coffee in the morning. I bought a Braun 6 years ago at a yard sale for $5 and it is experiencing some difficulties. Been looking and this is one under consideration. Thank you for your helpful comments!

5. November 17th, 2008 at 09:17 | #5

Agreed. Purchased this one for my parents. They enjoy it and I always get a decent cup when I visit. Plus it has old-school toggle switches… definite geek cred.

6. Rob Franck
    November 17th, 2008 at 12:01 | #6

But does it grind the beans for you?
    McCain: Pshaw, no. I have a Cuisinart burr grinder, in matching color scheme, sitting right next to it to do that.

7. November 17th, 2008 at 13:17 | #7

Gotta disagree. I have a french press and find it to be very fast. I have an electric hot pot which heats water to boiling faster than a microwave. One hefty scoop of coffee and a schlupp of hot water. By the time I have my cup in hand I am ready to pour. The fastest drip (Bunn) takes 3 minutes to brew a pot. Typical drip is 8-10 minutes. My french press — only 3 minutes total.
    Of course — you do have to clean it some time.
    McCain: If you are not letting your just-boiling water stay in the grounds for at least 3:30, you aren’t doing it right. I’d recommend 4 minutes. And you should be using a tablespoon of coarsely ground coffee (must be nice and coarse) for each four ounces of java. From your description, sounds like you are not using enough grounds either. So, I think if you did it precisely like this,you might find it takes more than three minutes. Though, the water-to boil time you have sounds terrific.

8. Tapani Simojoki
    November 17th, 2008 at 16:41 | #8

Guys, get a life! Tea’s the drink in the Old Country. And if you aren’t convinced by that, 1.3 billion Chinese can’t be wrong. (And this coming from a Finn – no wonder they won’t let me back in)

9. November 17th, 2008 at 17:57 | #9

Sorry Pr. McCain,
    Unless you are using a woodfire and a cast-iron coffee maker you aren’t a “traditional Coffee drinker”. Repent and send your coffee maker to me for its proper destruction!
    *Thinks to himself, “Man, I hope this ruse works. I could use one of those.”*

10. Bill R
    November 19th, 2008 at 17:54 | #10

It’s nice to know that I bought a Lutheran coffeemaker, even though I didn’t realize that until I read this post!