Home > CPH Resources > Update on the Baby Book of Concord — selling like hotcakes, and now a leather edition!

January 27th, 2009

Leathercover1

Wow, the Baby Book of Concord is flying off the shelves. A good number of you have asked if we are going to produce a leather edition of the "Pocket Concordia" aka "The Baby BOC" aka "Concordia: Mini-Me Edition." The answer is, no, since the whole idea of this edition is to make a copy of the Book of Concord available that is inexpensive. Were we to produce a true genuine leather edition, it would probably cost around $50. But, I have a solution.

For a number of years now I've been using a company in Santa Fe, New Mexico to make leather covers for my books, "slip jackets" I suppose you could call them. They are good, genuine cowhide, nicely stained and nicely grained, and finished well, sturdily sewn. I sent them a copy of the Pocket Edition a couple weeks ago, and a week or so later they sent it back to me inside the leather cover you see in this picture.

If you are not a bibliophile [biblioholic?] you won't understand, but for those who are, you might enjoy a leather cover. The cover costs $20, plus $5 shipping. Yes, more than the book itself. I know. I know.

Leather cover2
The company's name is Renaissance Art and they can make a cover for any sized book. I had them make a cover for my full size BOC. And, one of the best things about it is the wonderful aroma of genuine leather. It takes me instantly back to my beloved genuine leather football that I received as a gift from my parents when I was a little boy and just about wore out using in neighborhood games of "touch" football [which only now I'm willing to confess to, and since my mother reads my blog closely, she will no doubt grill me about this admission later!]. And by "touch" I mean full body tackling, unless somebody yelled "uncle" at which time all attempts to kill the opponent had to cease and desist. We had another name for the game, which is politically incorrect. The phrase we used went like this, "Smear the ….." I say no more.

So, if you are wanting to give your Baby Concordia the loving care and attention you know it deserves, I recommend my friends at Renaissance Art to you. And for a great dose of fond memories of your favorite leather football, or what it smelled like to bury your face deep in your baseball glove and breathe deeply, while fighting boredom in the outfield, here's your chance.

P.S. – We are having a "casual day" here at CPH due to the snow/ice storm, hence the flannel shirt I'm wearing.

Categories: CPH Resources
  1. January 27th, 2009 at 10:34 | #1

I can smell the leather from here. Very classy.

2. Jean A. McCain
    January 27th, 2009 at 12:23 | #2

I do!…and I will. Did you know I still have your football? And perhaps your skill at leather working adds to your love of genuine leather.

3. January 27th, 2009 at 13:01 | #3

Now that is the coolest thing since sliced bread! I’ll be ordering some leather covers soon.

4. John O
    January 29th, 2009 at 13:22 | #4

Pr. McCain,
    I have always thought that a leather-bound book was by far the classiest looking way to bind a book. Bravo on the cover choice.
    BTW, I received my copy of the Treasury of Daily Prayer a week ago. All I can say is wow, what a HUGE help in my daily prayers and reading. A schedule to keep track of for those who need a schedule to keep on track and focused on their readings and devotions. Thank you for a great book!

5. Chris
    January 29th, 2009 at 21:34 | #5

Nice cover!
    Since the upcoming Lutheran Study Bible will be released in both hardback and leather editions, do you have any thoughts on getting a hardback Study Bible with a custom leather slipcover vs. just the standard leather edition (no slipcover)? I’m looking forward to the new study bible (whatever edition I eventually decide on).
    McCain: I’m sure I’m going to get the Burgundy Genuine Leather edition, in large print, thumb indexed, and…yes, I’ll also probably have my friends in Santa Fe make a custom leather slip cover for it too!

6. Pr. Schroeder
    February 3rd, 2009 at 09:58 | #6

I was at the CTS Symposia and saw the pocket edition and my heart gladdened! I purchased 20 for the congregation because in our study we are reading outloud paragraph by paragraph Article IV of The Apology, and then myself and a retired Pastor in our congregation discuss the read paragraph, and invite questions. I had been handing out photo-copied sections, but no more! It is great to have the BOC in a less daunting form than in a big volume. Also, it’s great to have an accesible good translation of The Large Catechism. Well done!
    And a very important BTW: having the Chief Doctrine spelled out so clearly as it is in Article IV is clearly new stuff to this ELCA congregation. Pray for us.

7. Pr. Schroeder
    February 3rd, 2009 at 09:58 | #7

8. Rev. Todd Schroeder
    February 5th, 2009 at 13:03 | #8

I just received the reader’s edition to BOC. Love it. Also like the idea of a leather slip cover. Is there a stock number or catalog number I need to mention when I call them? Do I just give them the dimensions?
    {{McCain: Follow the link in the post, Todd. All the information is there. Enjoy.}}

9. February 6th, 2009 at 23:20 | #9

If I was to ask them to make a cover for me for my mini Book of Concord, would they know what I was talking about if I referenced your previous order?
    [[McCain: Just give them my name: Paul McCain, and I'm sure they can/will locate my order]].

10. Chris H.
    June 2nd, 2009 at 20:24 | #10

I just received two leather book covers from Renaissance Art for the pocket Book of Concord and the leather personal edition of Lutheran Service Book. Wow! These covers are great — they look classy, and they’ll protect and extend the life of the books. Thanks for the recommendation! I think I’ll have them make a bible cover for the Lutheran Study Bible once it comes out.