Home > Music > Sing, Sing, Sing

Sing, Sing, Sing

February 22nd, 2009

I grew up to the sounds of Jazz in my house. My dad loved Jazz, of all kinds. I’ve grown very fond of Big Band music. It helps that my wife and I learned to swing dance. It is a LOT more fun to listen to this music while Swing Dancing. I found this great old clip of the man himself, Benny Goodman, and his orchestra. Enjoy. Oh, by the way, if you do not at least find yourself tapping your foot, or fingers, while listening to this, seek medical attention immediately for you might be dead. I love this scene from Hollywood Hotel, for this is the actual Goodman orchestra, featuring the men themselves: Benny Goodman, Harry James and of course, Gene Krupa on the drums.

Categories: Music
  1. Bob Myers
    February 22nd, 2009 at 19:57 | #1

Great clip, thanks for posting it. And yes, my foot was tapping during the video. :)

2. Darrell Wacker
    February 23rd, 2009 at 07:03 | #2

My friends often laugh, but I too am a fan of Big Band and swing music. I’m only in my early 40′s, but was introduced to it through the story of Glenn Miller here in Dayton at the Air Force Museum a few years ago, and my fondness has grown ever since.

3. Tom Moeller
    February 23rd, 2009 at 08:33 | #3

Thank you for a wonderful blog. I am new to the Christian faith and studying to become a member of a wonderful LCMS congregation in my area. I can’t let Sing, Sing, Sing go by without my comment. Artie Shaw was the hep of the hep in the groove and on the beam with the licorice stick. First swinging downbeat I ever heard was G.M. and the Choo-choo off my Grandma’s 78 under the Victrola console (Volga Boatmen grooved the flip side). The big Q of the day is … Would that cat Luther prefer Duchin or Basie? I think he would be partial to T.D. and his mellow sliphorn refrains as well.

4. February 23rd, 2009 at 09:16 | #4

Weeee! Among the many things wonderful things Americans have given the world, swing must be in the top five. Sousa marches and dirt-track hobby-stock car racing are also on my version of that list. :)

5. Susan R
    February 23rd, 2009 at 09:21 | #5

Why don’t men wear those trousers anymore? Let’s hear it for those pants.
    Awesome pants. Awesome music.

6. Don Hansen
    February 23rd, 2009 at 18:14 | #6

Wow. That’s jammin’. While I haven’t been able to get ‘into’ jazz (and I’ve tried a few times) there are a few pieces I really like, and will have to add this one to the list (and as a former fairly good trumpet player, was thoroughly impressed with that trumpet solo in there).

7. RevDrChris
    February 24th, 2009 at 17:14 | #7

We still wear pleated pants, they just don’t look so good with the extra forty pounds we carry around these days.