Home > CPH Resources, The Lutheran Study Bible > Regular and Larger Print Edition Sample of The Lutheran Study Bible

Regular and Larger Print Edition Sample of The Lutheran Study Bible

June 18th, 2009

Picture 1The number one question I’ve been asked in recent weeks about The Lutheran Study Bible is, “Can you show us a sample of both the regular print and larger print editions, side by side?” Well, finally, I can. I’m embedding a PDF file that gives you a chunk of both the regular print and the larger print editions. These samples are actual size. Keep in mind that the larger print edition book is going to be a large, big book, the size of a Concordia Commentary volume. The dimension and weight of the regular print edition is 7″ wide, 9″ tall and around 2.25″ inches thick. It weighs about two pounds. The dimensions and weight of the larger print edition is 7 3/4″ wide. 10″ tall and around 2.5 inches thick. It weighs about three pounds.

You can download a PDF file, and print it out, by clicking this link: Regular-Larger Sample

Just so you know, the regular print edition has the same typeface size as the Concordia Self-Study Commentary, the larger print edition is larger, as you can see. We achieved the larger print size by using a larger sheet of paper and “blowing up” the page. That allowed us to preserve the pagination between the two books and all cross-reference page numbers remain the same, that way there is complete page number compatibility between the two books.

You may place a pre-publication order, and recieve the best possible price until October 31, by going to: cph.org/lutheranbible

We are mailing out a considerable amount of information and promotional materials at the end of July to every Lutheran congregations. The kit will include promotional videos, instructions, sign up poster, order forms, and loads of other information and samples. We will be offering custom covers for both regular and larger print editions at this time, along with custom-designed journals for daily prayer and meditation on the Sriptures, and more. So, keep a sharp eye out for this mailing. I will alert you when it is mailed in a few weeks.

1. June 18th, 2009 at 12:46 | #1

Can you tell us what the point sizes are for each?

2. June 18th, 2009 at 12:55 | #2

I can tell you precisely for the regular print, not for the large. Why? The larger print is a magnification of the regular print and not a typographically increased size, if that makes sense, but basically you can add two point sizes to the regular, hence main body in regular: 9, main in large: 11. For what it is worth, type sizes are fairly meaningless to most people. That’s why we did this sample. If you print the PDF file out you have a precise replica of what the regular and larger print versions will look like. The PDF samples are actual size.

Here are the regular edition type sizes:

The Bible text is in Weidemann Std Book at 9 pt with 10.5 pt leading.

The study note text is Weidemann Std Book at 7.5 pt with 9 pt leading.

The cross-references are in Zurich BT Light Condensed at 6.5 pt with 7.5 pt leading

The footnotes are in Weidemann Std Medium at 5 pt with 6.5 pt leading

Article text is in Formata Light Condensed at 8 pt with 10 pt leading

Table text is in Myriad Pro Condensed at 8.25 pt with 9.5 pt leading

3. Elaine Weiss
    June 18th, 2009 at 15:18 | #3

Thanks for all the information on the Lutheran Study Bible Pr. McCain I just now pre-ordered and intend to order one for my Nephew in a few years as I am his sponsor (he is only 2 yrs. Old).

4. June 18th, 2009 at 18:07 | #4

Thanks, I did print out the sample and find the larger edition much more congenial to my 54 year old eyes.

5. Stephen Foxx
    June 20th, 2009 at 04:55 | #5

I just wanted to say how thankful to all of you who are involved in producing this Bible. I was born into a Christian home for which I am very thankful and raised in the Baptist mindset generally speaking. After switching to the LCMS five years ago, being confirmed, and loving everything about confessional Lutheranism I sometimes find myself wondering how the Lutheran faith views certain texts. I also have the privilege of teaching some Bible studies and am very concerned that I teach Lutheran views. This study Bible is just what I need. We are also encouraging everyone in our church to get one.

Pastor Hinkle, the large print is also very nice on my 45 year old eyes ;-)

6. Mike Wright
    June 22nd, 2009 at 16:37 | #6

Same goes for my 59-year old eyes. I plan to order the large print edition now. After it arrives, I should have enough money saved up to buy the wheelbarrow I’m going to need to get it to church.