Home > CPH Resources, The Lutheran Study Bible > A Boy and His Bible

A Boy and His Bible

September 25th, 2009

johnandbibleTime to complete The Lutheran Study Bible? Six years.

Cost of the larger print edition? $45

Big smile and hug from happy son? Priceless.

This is my son John Augustine McCain with his copy of The Lutheran Study Bible. Said Dad, “John, what kind of Study Bible do you want?” Said John,”I’d like the big one Dad.” Dad said, “Done.” I snapped this pic of John in our house after I brought his Bible home. Who’d have thought an 18 year old could be so happy about a new Bible? I even got a hug out of it. Excellent!

1. Debra
    September 25th, 2009 at 18:54 | #1

This is a great picture and a wonderful story Pastor. Your son is quite handsome and I’m sure smart like his father.

McCain response: Well, our kids get their brains from their mother and their good looks from their father. What can I say?

2. Ken Howes
    September 25th, 2009 at 21:46 | #2

I gave a TLSB to one of our young men who may be a prospect for the seminary. I gave a Concordia Children’s Bible to a 10-year-old girl who’s one of our brightest kids. I got a Kids’ Bible for my wife to read to our grandchildren, who are still small.

3. Rev. Joel Kuhl
    September 25th, 2009 at 22:34 | #3

Okay… if a young guy wants the big print, now I gotta find out… which is better? I didn’t mind the print from the old Concordia Self-Study Bible, but I really want to know if the weight difference is going to break me to go a little larger print. Which is better in your humble opinion, Rev. McCain, the regular size print or the larger print? I have good eyes, but we all know how they go for avid readers eventually. I am currently leaning to the regular print in genuine leather… should I change it to the large print in genuine leather? I need help! Thanks.

McCain response: The larger print edition is a large book, weighs 7 pounds, and I love it.

4. John K
    September 26th, 2009 at 01:04 | #4

Rev. McCain, could we have an update on shipping of the various editions of The Lutheran Study Bible? I’m anxiously awaiting the Hardcover Large Print and the Genuine Leather Large Print editions.

McCain response: We expect all editions to be shipping out by the end of next week.

5. September 26th, 2009 at 01:36 | #5

One other reason why I think I’m going to like my larger print hardcover TLSB a little more than the regular print leatherbound/thumbindexed version that I’m waiting to receive — the paper on which it’s printed.

For me, the size of the print isn’t (yet!) that big a deal; but quality of paper & bleed through of the print are. And in my quick comparison of the two versions at the bookstore, I think the paper in the larger print version is just enough thicker that it’s going to hold up a little better (i.e., not crinkle & fold as easily as the onion-skin type paper in the regular print version). And it certainly doesn’t fall prey to bleed through.

That, however, comes at a price (as Pr. McCain stated) — the larger print TLSB is **A BIG BOOK**. As a desk reference, though, I have no problem with that at all. (When I need to be more mobile, I’ll take my leatherbound with me, and if I didn’t have that luxury, then I’d gladly make due with the larger print!)

6. John K
    September 26th, 2009 at 07:34 | #6

My wife and I will both be using our large print Bibles in Bible classes at church as well as for use at home.

7. J. M.
    September 26th, 2009 at 08:20 | #7

It appears the expression “Like father, like son” is very true! Lovely!
    Whoever said the younger generation has lost its focus on Christ needs to meet John and those like him – the future of our church.

My beautiful, genuine leather, larger print Lutheran Study Bible arrived! I knew it would be excellent, but I did not realize how far it would surpass any other study Bible in print. The wealth of topic articles, introduction to each book, the catechism in the FRONT! And so much, much more. I venture to say that if a person sits down and compares the notes in this study Bible with any other study Bible notes -there will be no doubt of how much more in depth this Bible is – and how much more LUTHERAN! Is the size larger – yes, a little – is it heavier -well, yes – but since I plan to read it more than carry it – I don’t see that as a problem. (I do understand that it would be somewhat difficult to take it on a home visit, but then maybe an additional one in smaller print would serve the purpose.) I thank the Lord for this gift to me and to God’s people. May God continue to bless CPH and our church with men such as you, Pr. McCain, who so faithfully pursue publishing books of such deeply Lutheran content, and unapologetically scholarly – and most important – LUTHERAN! This Bible and other publications respect the intellect of lay people by presenting Lutheran doctrine and theological concepts that make us think and help us mature in the faith. The editors of this monumental accomplishment and you must have had a special service to thank the Lord for bringing this to fruition through all of you. THANK YOU ALL!! God bless you all.

8. Guillaume
    September 27th, 2009 at 13:38 | #8

Does he have a Tiburon like his brother Paul also? Did Paul get one?

McCain response: No, and not yet.