Home > Uncategorized > 2012 Is Not the End of the World, or Not as Far as We Can Tell

2012 Is Not the End of the World, or Not as Far as We Can Tell

October 24th, 2009

end-nighGreat article debunking the ridiculous nonsense out there about 2012 being the end of the world, which has been heightened now because of a foolish movie coming out in November. What I find particularly disturbing is how many Christians buy into this malarkey. Have they forgotten what our Lord Christ said in Matthew 25:13? Christians should not go to see these kinds of stupid movies. There, I said it. Why should we? Morbid curiosity? Have we nothing better to do with our time? I think we do.

Categories: Uncategorized
  1. Matt L
    October 24th, 2009 at 07:16 | #1

But it makes for a really cool looking movie. I like these kinds of movies, and with Emmerich you can be sure that there isn’t a CG effect that he doesn’t love.

But yeah, predicting the end of the world because an old calendar ran out is pretty absurd.

2. Josh Venske
    October 24th, 2009 at 08:19 | #2

First, can’t they ever get the date right? How many times until they get it right. Jeepers, I remember hearing that the end was supposed to come sometime in the seventies, the eighties, etc. I thought they might have been on, finally, with the year 2000. Nope!

As for the upcoming release of the film based on the “yet-to-be-seen true story,” I will likely go see it for what will probably be a special effects fest of epic proportions. I like disaster movies for that reason alone. Despite the story being less than spectacular, there is something cool about seeing giant tidal waves, multiple tornadoes, etc. on the big screen. For that reason alone, I think one could justify watching this type of film.

As for the subject matter, I do not look to Hollywood for my theology or eschatology. I don’t even get that bovine scatology* from today’s popular TV/mega-church teachers. Give me that good ol’ Biblical and Lutheran Christology/eschatology.

*terminology borrowed from Chris Rosebrough of PCR

3. Josh Venske
    October 24th, 2009 at 08:23 | #3

@Josh Venske
    Please note that the first paragraph was meant to be sarcastic. I forgot to denote that part. Sorry.

4. Eric Grutz
    October 24th, 2009 at 08:32 | #4

I bet you Jack van Impe can’t wait for this one to arrive in theatres.

5. October 24th, 2009 at 13:09 | #5

I find it even more disturbing that so many Christians were more than willing to spend their money on that awful Left Behind series a few years back, to the tune of many millions of dollars. This is just another brick in the wall…

6. October 24th, 2009 at 13:11 | #6

P.S. Pastor McCain, where did you find that great “The End is Nigh” comic book pic? So great!

7. Dennis Voss
    October 24th, 2009 at 17:02 | #7

Besides what Christ Jesus says, there is another slight problem. The Mayans came to an end, at least as a society a millennium ago, long before our current calendar system. So what makes anybody think 2012 is only 3 years away?

8. Pastor John Maasch
    October 24th, 2009 at 20:55 | #8

I think what is more fascinating is just how many of these movies there have been recently. Sitting through the previews prior to the start of any movie … the message is very clear …. the END! Coincidence? Or is something more sinister and damning controlling the simple minds of Hollywood’s brightest and best? Laughing as we view it all as entertainment and in the process becoming desensitized to what is truly a coming reality.

9. October 25th, 2009 at 04:03 | #9

While I agree that Christians need not buy into the hype of such nonsense about Mayan calendars and 2012, I think the prevalence of apocalyptic films says interesting things about contemporary society. In fact, I’m planning on speaking at an academic conference in the upcoming year on this very topic. One thing I’ve noticed especially is that most of these films seem bent on championing humanity’s ability to face worldwide devastation and overcome. This is done primarily in one of two ways: by completely averting the catastrophe (by relying on humanity’s ingenuity and courage to disarm the threat as in, for example, Armageddon and The Core), or through a remnant’s ability to escape destruction and begin planning to rebuild (as in The Day after Tomorrow and, if I gather correctly from the trailers, the upcoming 2012 film). The primary message in these films, despite their differences, seems to remain that, no matter how big the obstacle (even if it’s the end of the world), humankind will always manage to bring about its owns salvation.

A surprising departure from this message appeared in the film Knowing which came out earlier this year. In this story, mankind is entirely unable to save itself; if there is to be salvation for any, it must come from outside man’s own power. In fact, the film directly invokes God in the story: the main character is the son of a pastor; biblical imagery is everywhere; and we even [spoiler alert] see something remarkably like angels. While the film has some flaws (what film doesn’t?), all in all it’s a very worthwhile movie.

Rather than eschewing apocalyptic films, I think that there’s great opportunity for us as Christians to use them to engage our non-Christian friends on deep matters. The prevalence of these films gives us a glimpse into the world around us: what people fear, in what they place their trust, and where they look for comfort. Yet the general “humanity will prevail” message of most of these films leaves many viewers unconvinced and feeling empty. What better opportunity to tell people about our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, and give them a reason for the hope that is within us?

10. Pr. Martin Diers
    October 26th, 2009 at 09:41 | #10

I saw the first trailer (where the Tibetan monk looks up and sees the surging sea breaking over the nearest mountain ridge). That looked cool. Then I saw the second trailer, and realized that I would have to sacrifice a fair number of brain cells to make it through this movie.

For die-hard CGI fans only.

11. October 26th, 2009 at 11:56 | #11

Matthew’s comment is a good one for us to heed. If we are truly Christ-centered Christians, we will recognize the opportunities we are given by Christ to talk about the Truth found in His Word.

Just last week a friend and I had the opportunity to discuss the Gospel because he had seen the trailer to this film and asked me what I thought about it!

Stupid movie? Undoubtedly. Great opportunity to share Christ to broken people in a broken culture? Absolutely!!

And here is the deal: What an opportunity to educate the lay people about such topics that are readily put in front of them and occupy their minds!! Opportunity. That is the key word here.