Home > CPH Resources > “Graphic Novel” Version of The Small Catechism by Martin Luther

“Graphic Novel” Version of The Small Catechism by Martin Luther

January 26th, 2010

I have been so eager to tell you all about a great new resource from Concordia Publishing House. It’s been in the works for quite some time, and I’m now able to share the cover image of it, along with a nice sample. It is a “graphic novel” form of The Small Catechism, titled, Timeless Bible Truths. The illustrator is a LCMS Director of Christian Education, Scott L. Jung. He did a spectacularly good job wedding text to images. As I was reading through it again recently I was once more struck by the fact that each time I read it, I have to remind myself that the words in this thing are precisely nothing more, and nothing less, than Luther’s Catechism. The images bring the text alive in a remarkably effective manner. I strongly urge you to pick up a copy of this resource. I think it will be useful for both youth and adults. We live in a visual age and we must use all means possible to communicate the truth to a visual culture. And, keep in mind, from the very beginning, Luther’s Catechisms, both Small and Large, included images throughout them to illustrate the text. Enjoy the sample. Just click on this link and a PDF file will download. Here is the product information page on our web site. Please help spread the word on this.

Here are a few more pictures of the interior, from the sample:

Categories: CPH Resources
  1. January 26th, 2010 at 13:19 | #1

This is totally gnarly!

How much is it going to sell for?

2. January 26th, 2010 at 14:07 | #3

I’ll let you know what my confirmation students think of it!

3. Lindsey
    January 26th, 2010 at 15:04 | #4

That is really really cool! I hope it will sell well and do good to everyone who views it, whether kids or adults. Already the images I viewed are extremely helpful to me and I’m sure there are lots more. Keep up the good work, CPH!

4. January 26th, 2010 at 16:13 | #5

So good!

Do you think you might produce it even more cheaply, like in a comic book type paper?

I did something crazy the other day. I went around the neighborhood of the church and talked with everyone and left your cheap version of the catechism where I could (what is it $3.00 per ten or twelve, forget).

When I finished I thought “It’s entirely our own fault nobody has heard of Martin Luther.” Everyone has only ever heard of Martin Luther King. If we brought everyone a little catechism they would at least know what we are talking about and maybe they’ll study it!

Anyways, I had a good time. I even got kissed on the cheek by a Russian Orthodox. The toughest are the ex-RC’s. They never want to hear of church again, it seems.

5. January 26th, 2010 at 16:19 | #6

This is a great resource. I saw it and looked through it at the Ft. Wayne conference last week with alot of other CPH products. It seems like its able to speak at the level of confirmation age kids without dumbing down the material. It’s really fantastic!

6. January 26th, 2010 at 19:05 | #7

That is just too funny (but I mean that in the best sense). I’ll order one right away for my 10-year old son, who loves comics & graphic novels.

7. January 27th, 2010 at 05:10 | #8

Just amazing! Do you know if it’ll be translated into Spanish (or any other languages)?
    Congratulations!
    Greetings from Barcelona…

8. Dave Schumacher
    January 27th, 2010 at 07:24 | #10

This is one of the best ideas to come out of CPH (since TLH) ! :)
    Can’t wait to order one for my 49 year old self!

9. Lindsey
    January 28th, 2010 at 10:37 | #11

I especially like the cartoon-version of Martin Luther. I think kids (and adults!) can relate to him more when they see the way he is portrayed in this catechism.

10. Elaine Weiss
    January 28th, 2010 at 10:50 | #12

Great idea I will be ordering one for my nephew!