Home > Macintosh > The iPad. It is here. All hail Apple! Amazon: be afraid, be very afraid.

The iPad. It is here. All hail Apple! Amazon: be afraid, be very afraid.

January 27th, 2010

Categories: Macintosh
  1. January 27th, 2010 at 12:35 | #1

Wait – you’re not there to announce the availability of the Lutheran Study Bible for iPad? Or is this going to be the “… one more thing?” ;-)

2. Randy Bosch
    January 27th, 2010 at 12:46 | #2

If only you buys had offered the Study Bible to Apple as a free app! Icon automatically “on”! Oh, that’s right, we don’t really do icons!

3. Randy Bosch
    January 27th, 2010 at 12:47 | #3

Oops, that’s “you guys”…

4. Laura Lane
    January 27th, 2010 at 14:02 | #4

Wait a minute. I didn’t get paid 3 million dollars for working on TLSB. Oh right, my reward is somewhere else…..

• January 27th, 2010 at 15:27 | #5

Who can put a price on the appreciation we all feel for your efforts?

5. January 27th, 2010 at 16:03 | #6

A couple of comments from a friend who has taken the time (why?!) to look at the details:

“So this iPad has same RAM, lower CPU speed, fewer (i.e. zero) USB ports, less storage than my netbook [RRP less than an iPhone]. No camera. Crap name.”

“So, it’s not the future of the computer. It’s a big iPhone. Oh well”

Time would tell, if it wasn’t for fanboyism, brand power and marketing.

• January 27th, 2010 at 16:18 | #7

You, obviously, are not one of the Apple Gnostikoi. I shall pray for your enlightenment.

6. Aaron Graves
    January 27th, 2010 at 17:07 | #8

Slightly off-topic, but given the references to TLSB, I would like to take this opportunity to thank those who worked on this project. TLSB has been a real blessing to those of us who were stuck reading “other” study bibles. It’s nice to see a fresh Lutheran perspective to the notes and articles.

7. January 27th, 2010 at 17:21 | #10

I’m pretty sure there isn’t a netbook with a display like that. And people still don’t buy computers for their hardware specs, and yet PC makers still don’t get it. It’s all about what the thing can do. A netbook isn’t going to come close, no matter how fast its CPU is.

8. January 27th, 2010 at 19:21 | #11

I’m a more than a little concerned for Jobs myself. The boy didn’t look too hot. (And I have sent my email in for the shipping announcement, yes. Can’t wait!)

• January 27th, 2010 at 19:28 | #12

@John: Well, he looked better this time than the last time he did one of these things, but he does look gaunt.

9. January 27th, 2010 at 21:08 | #13

Microsoft beat Apple with their unveiling of the “Slate PC” on January 7th.

Apple is being assimilated into the PC world. It has started with their hardware platform, then with their OS platform written to a Linux flavor… one day… they will just be a version of Windows. :)

Have a nice day.

10. Cris
    January 27th, 2010 at 21:39 | #15

@ptmccain
    Except her enlightenment has already happened. This product is worse than the Apple TV.

11. Ken Howes
    January 27th, 2010 at 23:13 | #16

@Aaron Graves
    I would second Aaron’s comment. I have made considerable use of mine, and never miss an opportunity to recommend TLSB; I’m not missing this opportunity to do so, either. The maps came in handy on a paper I wrote recently on the Pentateuch.

12. January 28th, 2010 at 04:12 | #17

@Rev. Joseph Eggleston
    Perhaps. But there’s even more to computers than utility. See here, for example.

13. January 28th, 2010 at 04:14 | #18
  14. Gabriel Emanuel Borlean
    January 28th, 2010 at 04:24 | #19

A very good technical REVIEW of what is GOOD and BAD with the iPad from Silicon Valley’s paper – San Jose Mercury News

“Wolverton: iPad neat, but I’m waiting for ver. 2.0″

and video clips from Nightly News MSNBC:
    and

15. January 28th, 2010 at 11:42 | #20

@Tapani Simojoki

Agreed – open source is superior. Apple usually wants to maintain a super-seamless user experience (hardware and software) but also lets power users dig deeper and tinker, if they so choose. The iphone originally allowed some neat possibilities through jailbreaking, but now it seems that Apple is trying harder to prevent users from doing what they want with the devise. It will be sad if this trend continues.

I’m still impressed with the hardware, and the possibilities it opens. I can imagine having TLSB, the Confessions, Luther’s Works, Concordia Commentary set, etc. all in one sleek devise. Dreamy!

16. Julian
    January 28th, 2010 at 13:04 | #21

“one day… they will just be a version of Windows…”

Considering that Windows was a third rate copy of the Macintosh to begin with, if that ever happens, then the devolution will have come full circle. At which point the world will immediately descend into a LaHaye-esque horrorshow.

17. January 29th, 2010 at 15:25 | #22

@Gabriel Emanuel Borlean

FINALLY! Someone who’s actually had his hands on one. The San Joe guy’s is a safe recommendation: Wait for the next version — and he’s right. WSJ made a good pt. on why to by the W-Fi version: a) It’s cheaper and b) AT&T already has strained to the max its 3G net because of the success of the iPhone, so in most areas one would be better served by Wi-Fi, esp. because AT&T is offering 3G service at a cheap, non-sub rate that ought to choke it for a good while. Yeah, I know that means one can’t use it for GPS out on I-70 going thru Kansas. (But who needs GPS in Kansas? I mean.) ;-) I still want one. Bad.