Home > "Emergent" Ministry Trends, American Protestantism, Theology > The Mysterious Case of the Disappearing Gospel

The Mysterious Case of the Disappearing Gospel

March 26th, 2010

1. Don
    March 26th, 2010 at 07:25 | #1

Quite an apt title. The line of Gospel in the message was lost in the law. It must have been the sort of message this person heard (as posted online):

“When I was young I thought that if one was seeking first His kingdom and His righteousness then we would need to share the gospel with as many people as we could. Yet I was very shy and when I did try door to door witnessing it was awful. When I we were in YWAM they had us do open air witnessing and it was so bad. And I was constantly being told that if I didn’t share the gospel with the lost that their blood would be on my hands. So I always had this nagging feeling of guilt because I hadn’t shared the gospel with anyone that day.”

Lord, have mercy,

Don Kirchner

• March 26th, 2010 at 08:20 | #2

It seems you missed the point of the video, which was produced by a Christian on the Isle of Man. His context and experience is such that the Church of England has become more of a social/charity organization than Church. This was the reason for his video.

And, when I hear people expressing such discomfort whenever we talk about telling the good news about Jesus, I hear the sound of the “ouch” of the Law showing us our sin. And, that’s ok.

2. Steve Schaper
    March 26th, 2010 at 13:49 | #3

In the LCMS I think antinomianism is -at present- the greater threat.

3. Kevin Jennings
    March 26th, 2010 at 21:02 | #4

Hi, Paul! A few months ago, my wife was accosted in a store after a busybody overheard her telephone conversation. As the situation unfolded, the busybody accused my wife of being unchristian. As I was discussing this event with my bride, it became clear to me that most Christians, as I supposed the busybody claimed to be, don’t know what being Christian really is. I hear of faithful people being called hypocrites when their first words in worship are the truth: O almighty God, merciful Father, I, a poor, miserable sinner… The idea of repentance and faith is so foreign and so many who claim the name Christ have never heard of it that it isn’t disappearing, it’s probably disappeared from many a pulpit. I teach the confirmands, and adults, two questions to ask about every sermon they hear: Did Jesus have to die for this to be true? Where is Jesus’ blood in all of this?

4. Mark Meili
    March 27th, 2010 at 06:40 | #5

I am comforted that I am not the only one who thinks antinomianism is a very severe and perhaps growing threat in LCMS. I just learned the term recently because of how uncomfortable I feel after church services some times. I have attempted (and should continue to do so) to discuss these with my pastor. I hear these things in sermons: “God has forgiven you the sins you did, do, and will do, so now that you are aware of His great love and sacrifice… what do you want to do?”, and “while you are in the act of sinning, God has forgiven you”… I have a hard time reconciling these passages and personally think seminary professors could do a better job, putting perhaps less emphasis on intellectual sugar rushes and academic status and more emphasis on the vocational aspects of education. I feel that in today’s environment it is easier and easier to loose faith. Yet, some pastors seem to indirectly teach once saved always saved. I truly would truly appreciate some feedback.

5. March 27th, 2010 at 21:59 | #6

@Don The blog post related to the video is:

The mysterious case of the disappearing Gospel

The follow-up is also highly relevant:

The power of the Gospel

6. March 28th, 2010 at 20:37 | #7

Thanks for your excellent rebuttal of Don Kirchner’s remarks.

7. Purple Koolaid
    March 29th, 2010 at 12:32 | #8

excellent video. Thank you. I see many christians sink into “helping people” and confusing social work w/mission work. If you go to Lutheran world relief’s page, you won’t see much about sharing the gospel. The banner on the page is, “..we work to end poverty, injustice and human suffering.” What about sharing the GOOD news of forgiveness of sins in Christ’s atoning work on the cross? No, you can’t find that on there.