Home > > WarrenCritique

WarrenCritique

August 29th, 2010 Leave a comment Go to comments

WarrenCritique

Categories:
  1. August 30th, 2010 at 10:14 | #1

I wanted to read this but I got an error message that said that I should subscribe to some feed. What’s up with that?

• August 30th, 2010 at 12:29 | #2

Click the link once, then click on it again and allow time for the PDF file to download to your computer.

2. Jim
    August 30th, 2010 at 15:08 | #3

Nope, I cannot access it, either.

• August 30th, 2010 at 15:24 | #4

Please follow the instructions in the post, it works.

3. Jim
    August 30th, 2010 at 15:31 | #5

Never mind. Got it. thanks. By the way, I really liked this:

“…many of the works ravenously devoured by Evangelicals are little more than
    self-help books built upon pop-psychology.”

Wow. It took me a while to understand what that really meant. Law, law, law, works, works, works. Evangelicals tell the people to ask what they should do, and how they should be. I have always wondered why I always found myself exhausted when reading such books. I guess I will have to jump off this spiritual treadmill and donate my Charles Stanley books to the library.

Pastor McCain: Where are those Lutheran books that will cause non-Lutherans to want to become Lutheran? I know a lot of good material is out there. Is it a matter of poor publicity?

4. Rev. Mark Schroeder
    August 31st, 2010 at 06:37 | #6

Wow! “…one hundred and sixty-four simple steps” to follow! No wonder Mohammed tops the charts in self-made religious rules: he boiled his down to five.

5. Lee
    August 31st, 2010 at 08:39 | #7

About 8 or 9 nears ago our church hosted a 40 day program related to the Purpose Driven Life. After we listened to Warren through a weekly lesson, the Pastor would discuss his views and compare them to LCMS theology and Biblical truths. It allowed us to have an intelligent discussion with family members. friends, and coworkers of different faiths and share what LCMS is all about. It would of been great to of had this article as a reference during that time. The best thing I got out of the series was the first line of the book, “It’s not about you.”

6. Lee
    August 31st, 2010 at 08:43 | #8

@Jim

Jim, I traded in my Charles Stanley books for “Spirituality of the Cross” from Concordia Publishing.

7. Reverend Parks
    September 1st, 2010 at 02:34 | #9

Thank you, Rev. McCain for your kind words. I hope folks find it helpful.