Home > CPH Resources > Notebook Edition of The Lutheran Study Bible? Take a survey and let us know what you think

October 27th, 2010

My colleague and I, Rev. Edward Engelbrecht, were kicking around ideas a few months ago and we began talking about whether or not people would be interested in having a sort of “notebook” edition of The Lutheran Study Bible. Let me explain. The idea is that we would print the books of the Bible on 8.5 x 11 sized paper, triple hole punch it, saddle stitch it and provide wide margins, maybe even interleave blank pages, so that you would have, in effect, a complete “notebook” edition of The Lutheran Study Bible. The longer books of the New Testament would appear as individual booklets, shorter books would be combined. We would start with the New Testament. The price per booklet might be around $10.

Sound interesting?

Would you mind taking a short little survey to let us know what you think? Just click on this link to take the survey.

Here’s a screen shot of what we are talking about, again, it will be 8.5 x 11. If you click on it and click through again on the image, you’ll have an actual 8.5 x 11 page sample. If you take the survey, you will be able to download a longer sample you can print out:

Categories: CPH Resources
  1. October 27th, 2010 at 18:10 | #1

Yes please, Rev McCain!
    I love my LSB but there’s no room for notes, so I’d buy your ‘Notebook’ edition.
    Let’s hope for a good response.

2. October 27th, 2010 at 18:11 | #2

If it had stapes I would not buy the product. I would also only purchase the product as the whole bible, not pieces of it (Should the bible should -never- be broken up into pieces). I love the idea of a 3 hole punch, 8 1/2 x 11 edition. So with your pricing scheme whats the total price of the bible? $660? $330? That’s still too expensive.

3. October 27th, 2010 at 20:21 | #3

I think something like this is a very good idea. I use an NIV wide-margin Bible that now has thousands of notes I’ve added over the years. I transfer notes from sermons, commentaries, study Bibles, and books I’m reading into the margins, along with insights I have during my daily Bible reading.

Years ago I saw an 8.5 x 11 NIV wide-margin New Testament that was bound but with perforated pages and was 3 hole punched (I’m not sure what the point of binding it was). You could do something like this, perhaps breaking up the entire Bible into larger chunks (e.g. four separate products: Historical, Poetical, Prophets, NT).

I agree with Ted Tschopp that the product that you have proposed is way too expensive, whether one purchased just the NT (27 x 10 = $270) or the entire Bible.

4. Rev. Allen Bergstrazer
    October 27th, 2010 at 20:24 | #4

I wish something similar (i.e. a larger print version that is hole-punched) could be done with the Small Catechism. I know that runs contrary to the title “small’ but my eyes aren’t as young as they used to be, and it would make it simple to interleave a lesson plan.

Keep up the good work and great ideas though.

5. Karen Keil
    October 27th, 2010 at 22:29 | #5

What about a loose leaf edition where all the pages are hole-punched and put into a three ring or four ring binder(s)?

6. October 28th, 2010 at 04:57 | #6

Alas, we non-Americans come out losers again. The rest of the world uses A4 and double or quadruple-punching. Never mind.

7. Kevin Yoakum
    October 28th, 2010 at 08:03 | #7

@Rev. Allen Bergstrazer
    Wow! I like Allen’s idea better! A loose-leaf, wide-margin, or interleaved Catechism that students or adults could write in more easily! Better yet, make it a saddle-stitched workbook so that it can be more easily contained. One of the problems with catechism instruction is the proliferation of books. Bible, Catechism, Workbook, etc. This would give us a Catechism that a student can work with! I’d buy it. I’d teach from it. I’d promote it.

8. Kevin Yoakum
    October 28th, 2010 at 08:11 | #8

I don’t know if people realize how incredibly HUGE and EXPENSIVE a complete Bible would be in this format. Unworkable. Unaffordable. I guess the point is that you would only buy the book that you are studying.

Sorry, but I still can’t see that this is much more than a novel idea. If you must do this, I would suggest bound workbooks rather than loose-leaf. However, I just think that we might be “jumping the shark” on marketing TLSB. It’s a good thing. Don’t overdue it.

9. Michael Mapus
    October 28th, 2010 at 13:19 | #9

How about a bible that’s the same size as the current large print edition, but the text size of the current standard edition. That would leave room in the margins for note taking. This should also keep the cost similar to the large print edition, I would think.

As a side note, placing all the articles either in the front or the back, would also maximize margin space for note taking. Page layout can also help. For instance, placing the text next to the study notes (in vertical columns), instead of the text at the top and the notes at the bottom, won’t have much effect for margin capacity, but is much easier on the eye.

• October 28th, 2010 at 13:41 | #10

Thanks for the suggestions, but we won’t be redesigning the layout.

10. Rev. James Gier
    October 28th, 2010 at 17:59 | #11

Good idea Paul. Thank you to you and Ed. I was hoping for something like this, as I discussed with you a while ago about a Bible with wide margins as they had in Luther’s day. What came to mind was perhaps a little heavier paper stock that will not bleed through and give it a little more sturdiness and stiffness for an enduring use, as well as to provide less tearing where it is punched and stitched. I for one am very interested. Thanks again.

11. mark†
    October 29th, 2010 at 08:51 | #12

This may be a bit off topic but my wife bought me a Kindle. I have found that I can view the footnotes to the TLSB on the Kindle in a larger font while reading the text in my hard copy edition of TLSB.

12. Brigitte
    October 30th, 2010 at 01:06 | #13

Because of the size of the book as it is right now, and no room to work in it, I’ve simply imagined making it into two volumes.

13. Karen Keil
    November 1st, 2010 at 16:04 | #14

Even though I already took the survey (and alas, forgot to download the longer sample!), I’m adding a thought or two after futher consideration. I’m open to buying the notebook Bible in sections as booklets. Would the paper be thicker than the Bible paper and be more sturdy to write on and perhaps highlight with a marker? Could the booklet be convertable to loose leaf if the customer chose to?

Even though I own a few wide-margin bound Bibles and one loose-leaf Bible, I’ve not written in them–just too loathe to “ruin” them that way. Perhaps if the notebooks are heavier paper and lend themselves to be workbooks, I could overcome my reluctance and use the Bible more fully!