Home > Uncategorized > A Great Day of Shooting

A Great Day of Shooting

November 23rd, 2010

One of the, many, great things about having children is how they help you remember the things you love. Let me explain. During my childhood I lived a few houses down from a very large bayou, in Warrington, Florida. I spent endless hours shooting and plinking at, and I hate to admit this now, but at aluminum cans I would throw out in the water and then shoot at until they sank. My son Paul recently acquired a few firearms and my love of, and for, target shooting was rekindled. I now have a M4 Carbine, made by Daniel Defense, a Glock model 22 handgun, a Ruger 10/22 rifle, a Ruger Mark III Huntsman and am once again a proud member of the National Rifle Association and the Arnold Rifle and Pistol Club. My son Paul and I had a great day out at the club today. Here’s a video of me shooting through a magazine on my M4 in three round bursts. The “silencer” effect is the result of the noise of the gun overwhelming the microphone in the iPhone. There’s a reason I’m wearing the “mikey mouse” hearing protection! The gun is *loud*

Categories: Uncategorized
  1. Rich Smith
    November 23rd, 2010 at 21:47 | #1

Looks like fun! Personally I prefer longbows and cedar arrows but I certainly understand the thrill of shooting firearms as well. Enjoy!

2. November 24th, 2010 at 02:17 | #2

Awesome! Currently, where I live in Southern California, shooting like this is not very easy to come by. This video post reminds me that the 2nd Amendment is something we can be thankful for on Thursday.

3. November 24th, 2010 at 11:51 | #3

I love that weapon… even if the technology is getting a little outdated. If you ever need me to disassemble, clean, and reassemble that M4, I’ll be happy to oblige! :P

An interesting thing about the burst function in the M16 family of rifles: the trigger’s burst mechanism cycles through three stages within the guts of the tigger to make it throw three slugs while on burst mode. On single fire mode, the trigger will be resting randomly on one of these three stages and will cycle through them one at a time. The interesting issue is that these three stages have drastically different trigger pulls which can vary several pounds (as much as 6 lbs of force!) from shot to shot. One pull out of three is almost always much easier to pull than the other two. This makes accuracy much harder on the M4 and M16 than a typical non-burst rifle.

What this means on a practical level is that most shooters will “pull on shot left” on a paper target in single fire mode. When shot groups are tight, you will see two shots really close and one much farther left… sometimes by several inches. That is the shooter’s jerky trigger squeeze running afoul of the irregular trigger pull of the burst function. This anomaly can be minimized through practice and improving the quality of one’s squeeze of the trigger.

Enjoy! It looks like you are! :P

• November 24th, 2010 at 13:46 | #4

Mike, amazingly, for a non-mechanical person like me, they made the weapon system easy enough for people like me to field strip and clean, even down to removing the extractor and cleaning it as well. I’m quite proud of myself.

Just to make it clear, my weapon is not an automatic, those “bursts” [as you certainly know] were manually done. The real thing is much faster.

You are right about the necessity of constant practice to get good trigger control. It sure makes all the difference!

4. November 24th, 2010 at 11:55 | #5

…err one shot out of three will be much father RIGHT on the paper. Not left. I imagined it backwards in my head. Sorry.

5. November 24th, 2010 at 15:11 | #6

The weapon is idiot proof and easy to maintain for a reaon! :P

Actually removing the extractor is risky cause the thing tends to get lost (especially for us military folks in the field). In terms of typical prevenative maintenance, you can safely skip giving it individual attention and clean it while you clean the bolt assembly. I’d advise your cleaning focus to be on those places behind the bullet where different parts meet and therefore receive the most powder buildup.

Scrape the black buildup off of the firing pin where the rim of the pin seats against the bolt. Then go into the bolt where the firing pin rests and clean waaaay down at the bottom where the firing pin passes through. There will also be build up along the fluted portion where the gas rings are. The final trouble spot is the area at the start of the barrel called the star-chamber where bolt seats itself… alot of buildup in there that is relatively hard to get to. These are usually the problem areas in terms of cleaning that increase the frequency of gun jams. If you address them diligantly, you don’t have to be a mechanical wizard to have lots of fun on the range.

• November 25th, 2010 at 14:00 | #7

Mike, thanks for your great advice. By the way, the other day at the range, I put my foregrip closer to the trigger, and shot a thirty round magazine. Every single shot was low and left. Then I put the grip out to the front of the barrel, and I was doing much better.

6. November 25th, 2010 at 15:45 | #8

Oooooh, ah, well, the thought of Paul McCain with a loaded weapon in his hand… well, lets just say I am glad I am four hours away… Some things are just, well, beyond imagination…

7. Larry Luder
    November 30th, 2010 at 21:35 | #9

Ever shoot trap or sporting clay?

• December 1st, 2010 at 10:49 | #10

Yes, love that too!

• December 1st, 2010 at 16:44 | #11

Yes, I have and enjoy it a lot. I am terrible at it, but would love to get better. The private gun club I know belong to has both trap and sporting clay ranges. Now all I need is a shotgun.

: )