Home > Uncategorized > Thinking of an E-Book Reader for Christmas? Choose Kindle

Thinking of an E-Book Reader for Christmas? Choose Kindle

November 30th, 2010

Are you considering buying an E-book reader as a Christmas gift for a friend, loved one, or for yourself? I have a recommendation:

Go Kindle.

Why?

(1) Amazon is, by far, the leader in e-book titles. It is a strong, stable company that has a huge established base in the e-book world.

(2) The Kindle is a great device. I think it is one sweet gadget. I don’t see much point in a 3G/digital data model, given the fact that the Internet is available via WiFi nearly everywhere these days. It is light, easy to read in bright light, and offers a great e-reader for $139. I think this has put it within reach of a many people today. When it first came out, it cost close to $500!

(3) The Kindle is not only a device, it is an entire platform that allows you to read Kindle formatted titles on a huge variety of devices: all desktop computers, all laptop computers, all netbook computers, on every Apple iPhone, iTouch, and on the iPad, on Android and Blackberry devices, etc. In other words, you have the best possible world of reading options with the Kindle platform.

(4) Concordia Publishing House has, presently, 94 titles available on the Kindle. We will be adding 100 or so more titles in the first half of next year.

By the way, here are the top twelve best selling CPH titles in the Amazon Kindle format:

The Lutheran Study Bible by Concordia Publishing House (Kindle Edition – Oct. 31, 2009) – Kindle eBook
Buy: $19.24
Auto-delivered wirelessly
Concordia: The Lutheran Confessions, Second Edition (Pocket Edition) by Paul Timothy McCain (Kindle Edition – June 1, 2009) – Kindle eBook
Buy: $8.99
Auto-delivered wirelessly
Luther’s Small Catechism with Explanation (ESV) by Martin Luther (Kindle Edition – Oct. 31, 2005) – Kindle eBook
Buy: $6.15
Auto-delivered wirelessly
Lutheran Book of Prayer, Fifth Edition by J.W. Acker (Kindle Edition – Feb. 1, 2005) – Kindle eBook
Buy: $6.59
Auto-delivered wirelessly
Chemnitz’s Works: The Two Natures in Christ by Martin Chemnitz (Kindle Edition – Jan. 1, 2005) – Kindle eBook
Buy: $29.99
Hammer of God by Bo Giertz (Kindle Edition – May 31, 1960) – Kindle Book
Buy: $9.99
Auto-delivered wirelessly
The Discovery of Genesis by Ethel R. Nelson (Kindle Edition – Aug. 1, 1979) – Kindle eBook
Buy: $6.90
Auto-delivered wirelessly
Treasury of Daily Prayer by Scot A. Kinnaman (Kindle Edition – Oct. 31, 2008) – Kindle eBook
Buy: $29.99
Auto-delivered wirelessly
Reading the Psalms with Luther by Martin Luther (Kindle Edition – June 30, 2007) – Kindle eBook
Buy: $8.99
10.
The Proper Distinction between Law and Gospel by C.F.W. Walther (Kindle Edition – Oct. 1, 1986) – Kindle eBook
Buy: $13.95
11.
History of Theology by Bengt Hagglund (Kindle Edition – Mar. 1, 2007) – Kindle eBook
Buy: $14.85
12.
Modern Fascism by Gene Edward Veith (Kindle Edition – Feb. 1, 1993) – Kindle eBook
Buy: $9.99
Categories: Uncategorized
  1. Greg Smith
    November 30th, 2010 at 09:16 | #1

But Kindle has no page numbers! How frustrating is that when you are trying to reference a quote?

2. T Sherm
    November 30th, 2010 at 10:22 | #2

I ran into this problem when writing a paper for class and found this solution.

APA Style:
    Gladwell, M. (2008). Outliers: The story of success [Kindle DX version].
    Retrieved from Amazon.com

“In the text, however, citation can get confusing because e-books often lack page numbers (though PDF versions may have them). Kindle books have “location numbers,” which are static, but those are useless to anyone who doesn’t have a Kindle too. To cite in text, either (a) paraphrase, thus avoiding the problem (e.g., “Gladwell, 2008″), or (b) utilize APA’s guidelines for direct quotations of online material without pagination (see Section 6.05 of the manual). Name the major sections (chapter, section, and paragraph number; abbreviate if titles are long), like you would do if you were citing the Bible or Shakespeare.

Gladwell’s book has numbered chapters, and he’s numbered the sections in the chapters. An example direct quotation might be this:

One of the author’s main points is that “people don’t rise from nothing”
    (Gladwell, 2008, Chapter 1, Section 2, para. 5).”

When you think about the in-text citation, this method is actually far more precise than citing page numbers. Those can very even from print edition to print edition, and this method avoids that confusion altogether.

3. Amy
    November 30th, 2010 at 11:12 | #3

I haven’t tried the Kindle, but the Nook has a pretty darn good e-book base (with free offerings every Friday), is available for the same price as the Kindle, and also has applications to read your books on various devices (computer, smartphone, etc.) with options to sync those platforms so if you start reading on your computer and then pick it up on your Kindle, you’ll be at the same page where you left off. And, like the Kindle, you can download e-books from any seller and use them on the Nook, but some sites require a small free driver download if they use a different format (which is true for all e-readers).

I’m not knocking the Kindle at all. My sister personally couldn’t wrap her brain around the way the Nook works, and I’ve known people that are the same way with the Kindle. They’re both great products.

4. Kevin Yoakum
    November 30th, 2010 at 13:37 | #4

Great! I’ve been looking forward to more CPH selections on Kindle. Can you give us a hint for what some of those titles might be?

5. Rev. Allen Bergstrazer
    November 30th, 2010 at 15:54 | #5

Thanks for posting on this subject Paul. I’m considering a Kindle, and its great that Amazon offers a free download of the platform (you only have to register with Amazon.com) so you can try it out. I especially like that I can read on my work computer, then go to my home computer and it goes directly to the page I was on. But before I buy a Kindle proper, I was wondering what you use yours for? That is, do you find it most useful with books that you use most often (such as the Treasury of Daily Prayer, or the Confessions) or do you use find it most useful in saving money on books and periodicals that you only might read once or twice? Or does it simply reduce the sheer number of books you have to tote around? And what is the advantage over a laptop with Kindle? Thanks.

• November 30th, 2010 at 16:04 | #6

I use my Kindle to read books, mainly fiction. I find it every bit as “absorbing” as a “real” book when I do. I don’t read much non-fiction on it, though I have been enjoying the latest biography of Dietrich Bonhoeffer. You are asking the wrong person if it saves me money. It probably costs me money. I buy things I probably would not otherwise buy since it is so easy to do so. It is very handy to have when I travel, actually, I read more on on my iPad and iPhone with the Kindle apps for them. I don’t understand your question about a laptop.

6. Rev. Allen Bergstrazer
    November 30th, 2010 at 16:17 | #7

@ptmccain
    Thanks for your reply, my question on a laptop comparison wasn’t written well, but you answered it with how you use your Kindle. And by the way thanks to everyone at CPH for offering so many titles and adding more. Y’all are doing a great job.

7. Cris
    November 30th, 2010 at 18:10 | #8

I love my Kindle, I am a student at the sem and love how I can read on the kindle, highlight and make notes on the kindle, then have all those same annotations on the Laptop; needing only my laptop on the desk in class. The only frustrating thing is the difference in page numbers.

Rev Mccain, i do have one request.
    Can you update the Book of Concord so the user can navigate to a specific place in the book. For example, there is no easy way to get to the 4th commandment in the LC.
    I think the crossways study bible is an example of a great kindle template, for they have made navigation extremely easy for a kindle book.

I have also been leery of purchasing the Lutheran study bible for the same reason.

Thanks and keep the kindle books coming.

8. Rev Joel Kuhl
    December 1st, 2010 at 10:03 | #9

How often will the newer CPH titles be added to the Kindle lineup? I am waiting for the new translation of Walther’s Law & Gospel, as well as the soon-to-be-released (at least I am hopeful) translation of Walther’s Church & Ministry? Any news for their release to Kindle format?

9. bill
    December 1st, 2010 at 12:04 | #10

I will stick with my iPad and with get the books on it when they become available.

• December 1st, 2010 at 12:37 | #11

Bill, you can read any/all Kindle titles on your iPad using the Amazon Kindle app for iPad. It’s great.

10. Marty Porter
    December 2nd, 2010 at 14:01 | #12

Pastor McCain,
    I have been told that I am getting a Kindle for Christmas. A quick question – how does the screen hold up to use? Would you recommend a screen “cover” such as the one available from Amazon (or others).
    I appreciate your thoughtful posts and interesting topics covered on your blog.

11. John Sunkel
    December 5th, 2010 at 02:25 | #13

I concur the Kindle is great. I have the Kindle version of The Lutheran Study Bible in my wish list, but when I hit the link this evening it is broken, and there appears to be no Kindle version available (with no explanation). Wondering if this is temporary or there is a legal issue going on. Any insight would be appreciated, as I figure it can’t be out of stock. <8:)

• December 5th, 2010 at 14:26 | #14

Yes, we are having a bit of an issue with Amazon, but we should have the file restored in a couple weeks. Not sure what you mean by “legal issue” but that’s got nothing to do with it.