Home > Concordia Publishing House > The Lutheran Study Edition of the Apocrypha is Coming Along Nicely

The Lutheran Study Edition of the Apocrypha is Coming Along Nicely

December 22nd, 2010

The Apocrypha: Lutheran Study Edition is coming along very nicely. It is on track to be available in 2012. We have received our first set of pages in layout and it is looking great. Here’s a sneak-peek, and, as always, for a larger image, click on the images below, then it will appear in another window, click on it again for the larger size.

1. John Mascola
    December 22nd, 2010 at 11:55 | #1

I am very impressed. I wonder how Luther and Lutheranism would interpret 2 Maccabees.

2. December 22nd, 2010 at 22:41 | #3

My 7 year old asked me about Hanukkah the other day after singing about it in choir at school; the inquiry prompted a long explanation of the Maccabees and the Apocrypha. I told her that “the Lutherans” were working on a study edition, and when it was done I would get it and we could read the story. Glad to hear it’s coming along nicely!

3. Peter Sovitzky
    December 23rd, 2010 at 13:12 | #4

Did you say 2012???
    Phooey.
    Peter

4. Karen Keil
    December 23rd, 2010 at 22:37 | #5

Thanks for the sneak preview. Noticed that it does not have center column references like The Lutheran Study Bible has. The NRSV Bible has had a reference edition published by Zondervan in 1994 with the Apocrypha where the cross references in the Apocrypha point to verses in the Apocrypha and in the Bible but the Bible books’ references do not point to the Apocrypha that I can tell. Would the only references be in the study notes, then?

• December 24th, 2010 at 09:20 | #6

Hi Karen, no, it does not have center column cross references. The samples show you what it will provide. Merry Christmas.

5. Dale Nelson
    December 24th, 2010 at 10:26 | #7

I am just simply delighted about this project. I think it is fine that it was published separately from the (magnificent!) Lutheran Study Bible, but it will be well worth our while. Let us know as soon as we can pre-order it.

6. December 25th, 2010 at 22:52 | #8

A question about the dating of the Book of Wisdom. In the sample text you posted, it places the outer date for the book at around 100 A.D. Since St. Paul borrows material from the book of Wisdom in his epistles, how would such a late date be possible?

7. December 26th, 2010 at 02:13 | #9

Another question: are there any plans to publish an edition of the LSB including the Apocrypha either bound between the testaments or at the end of both testaments, or will the Apocrypha only be available as a separate volume? Thanks.

• December 27th, 2010 at 09:13 | #10

No, the book would simply be too massive. Just look at the TLSB now and consider what would happen to it if we added another 500 or 600 pages to it.

: )