Home > CPH Resources > Law and Gospel: A Must Read

Law and Gospel: A Must Read

January 20th, 2011

I’m working my way through the new [fantastic] edition of Walther’s Law and Gospel. It is truly superb. It is a must read for anyone who desires to be a faithful Lutheran pastor. I have heard of some seminary professors dabbling around with offering “better” distinctions than Law and Gospel, such as, “two kinds of righteousness.” How horribly unwise, when there is such a treasure to be found in Walther’s lectures on Law and Gospel. Walther himself would correct me and say, “I am merely guiding you through the treasures of Holy Scripture and our Lutheran fathers, particularly our own dear Luther.”

If you have not purchased and read Law and Gospel: How to Read and Apply the Bible I heartily encourage you, plead with you, beg you, to do so! Now. You will be profoundly blessed!

Categories: CPH Resources
  1. January 20th, 2011 at 19:35 | #1

“Fantastic…truly superb…profoundly blessed” — Another superlative and one might say you were enthused about this work. :-) It’s on my list, and upon completion I may join the chorus.

2. Terry Yarish
    January 20th, 2011 at 20:32 | #2

After reading the Confessions this summer with an online reading group (that I found on YOUR blog), I decided to delve into the new edition of Walther’s Law and Gospel. I was literally BLOWN AWAY! You are right when you call this book “fantastic” and is a must read. These two books have really got me going. NEXT I think I will work my way through Pieper’s Christian Dogmatics.

3. Michael Mapus
    January 21st, 2011 at 07:19 | #3

Listening to the symposia live, via internet yesterday, there were a couple cracks made by a speaker against Walther’s lectures of Law & Gospel. I simply didn’t understand the remarks. I got the impression, the speaker thought they were inadequate. You mentioned in your post apout differences of opinion concerning Law and Gospel. Could you elaborate on some of those differences? Good post, I also have the new edition and plan on reading a lecture every Friday night, beginning today. Thanks

4. Rev Joel Kuhl
    January 21st, 2011 at 08:24 | #4

I would love to get this in Kindle edition… are there any plans for that soon?

5. Terry Maher (Past Elder)
    January 21st, 2011 at 22:19 | #5

It ain’t a bad read for those of us desiring to be faithful Lutheran laymen either. At my age, if I went for pastor I’d be getting my first call when other pastors my age are retiring from their last, and I’m too damned old to be learning Greek and Hebrew so I’ll have to stick with etymologies and the “confessional languages” (Latin and German). So my fellow laymen, the BOC and stuff like Law and Gospel is not just for pastors! And order a God Grant It right along with it, that is absolutely great!!

6. Terry Yarish
    January 23rd, 2011 at 19:54 | #6

Note from another “past elder”… YES “God Grant It” is a GREAT devotional. REALLY great. But don’t miss “To Live With Christ” either. FABULOUS. I have given many volumes of this away! I, too, am too old to learn all those hard languages and go for a “third career”. I guess I was NOT called to that vocation (pastor). but I sure enjoy reading all this stuff… i am learning SO MUCH! … so why doesn’t everybody read these books?