Home > Uncategorized > My Hobby: Shooting

My Hobby: Shooting

February 25th, 2011

I grew up spending many, many long hours down at the bayou a few houses down from mine shooting, my pellet rifle. Hours upon hours of pumping it up and shooting one shot at a time, at tin cans bobbing in the water, and setting up all kinds of targets for myself along the shore line. Days upon days and hours upon hours. I particpated in the National Rifle Association’s shooting program for young guys like me, and loved every second of it. I had gotten away from any kind of shooting for many years, until my sons got into it with Boy Scouts, now I’m hooked again. I’m a member of a local rifle and pistol club and love getting away and spending some time on the range with my rifles, shotgun and pistol. My pride and joy is my Daniel Defense M4 Carbine, chambered in 5.56 NATO.

For gun geeks, here are the details, from muzzle to butt stock. he bipod is a T-Pod front grip.I’ve got a Trijicon ACOG on it, TA31 BAC, with a donut reticle, mounted on a LaRue mount. I’ve got a BCM Gunfighter charging handle, and a GL-Shock butt stock, along with a Vickers Blue Force sling. I use 30 round PMAGS from Magpul, but for display purposes here, I’ve just got a 20 round USGI aluminum magazine in it. My other guns include a Remington Express Tactical 870 shotgun, a Glock 17, a Ruger 10/22 and a Ruger Mark III Huntsman, and a Springfield Armory 1911 -A1 .45.

Fun times! Thank God for the Second Ammendment. Molon labe!

Daniel Defense M4 Rifle, chambered in 5.56/223 Remington, with a Trijicon ACOG optic, GL-Shock butt stock, a few other goodies

Springfield 1911-A1, .45 ACP

Broken AR15 extractor

Categories: Uncategorized
  1. Fran Szarejko
    February 25th, 2011 at 19:07 | #1

I read all of your posts and this is a nice “slice of my personal life.” Sounds like a great hobby!

2. February 25th, 2011 at 23:14 | #2

Boy, it’s a good thing you’re not in the ELCA. They would totally blacklist you for this post (among others)! ;) I got a big laugh out of the ELCA “cathedral” church in Minneapolis last summer because it had signs all over the outside of it saying it was a peace zone and therefore no guns were allowed.

Bethany (not Jack)

3. Michael Mohr
    February 26th, 2011 at 15:01 | #3

Bethany (not Jack) :

The whole “peace zone” is a pretty hokey way of posting the sign, but such signs are necessary in states with concealed carry. If you are going to visit Paul down at CPH, you will walk by a sign that says no guns permitted, as well. So you know that when you visit him at the office, you will not be able to see the objects of this particular hobby.

And what is it with pastors and guns, anyway? I adopted my internet moniker while at seminary and first signed up for AOL. On a trip back to the family farm, we were target shooting when my godfather cried out, “Look out! Here comes the Pistol Packin’ Padre.” Even though I don’t shoot much any more, the name has remained.

• February 26th, 2011 at 15:31 | #4

Well said, Michael. Missouri has some of the more liberal gun laws in the nation, liberal in the sense of freedom, not in the sense of “ban all guns” liberal. We prohibit firearms on CPH property, so I dutifully comply. Even though, if I parked my car on the street, I could have my guns in the car, since Missouri permits firearms to be carried in cars, and as long as they are concealed, you can have them with you in the passenger compartment.

4. Guillaume
    February 26th, 2011 at 16:04 | #5

Sounds like it’s time for a Remington 700 .308 26″ stainless barrel with a Leopold MK IV, HS Carslon stock and 500 rnds of ammo.

5. February 26th, 2011 at 16:24 | #7

Of course, you realize that the ownership of firearms was forbidden by Jesus in Her Sermon on the Mount (you may think me as just a purty face, but I learned a thing or two during my time in the ELCA!). The Bible also clearly tells us that during the Sermon on the Mount She also condemned SUVs, incandescent lightbulbs, the US Constitution, talk radio, trans-fats, tax cuts, eating meat, William F. Buckley, and genetically-modified seeds.

No – don’t look it up – just trust me on this!

6. Guillaume
    February 26th, 2011 at 19:43 | #8

That’s ok, He took it back in Luke 22:36. ;)

7. February 26th, 2011 at 21:51 | #9

Nice hardware!

Ironically, I just took my wife out pistol shooting for the first time today. She loved it. I’ve created a monster! :P

Geek talk: That red strip on the top of the ACOG sight is a solar strip that powers the inside reticle. On really bright sunny days, you may experience “bleed out” on the red crosshairs and inards on your ACOG… and, if it is particularly sensitive, you may even have some hazy red hallowing around the rim of the scope as you look down it. These overly thick aiming guides may harm accurate shooting slightly. This can be fixed with a strip of duct or electrical tape placed gently over the red strip… the length of what you cover up with the tape will work like a dimmer switch. More coverage = dimmer reticle. Less coverage = brigher reticle. :)

8. John Maxfield
    February 28th, 2011 at 09:33 | #10

This post and the comments remind me of a funny conversation that my wife had when we were residents at the student apartments at Princeton Theological Seminary, where I did my PhD. Jennifer was talking to a fellow resident (like her, a mother of pre-school and school-aged children) when the woman “connected the dots” and said, “Oh, you’re the OTHER family that let’s their kids play with toy guns.” Our oldest is now a Plebe cadet at the US Military Academy at West Point.

9. Tim Stout
    March 5th, 2011 at 13:14 | #11

The piece of hardware looks very familiar. I used to carry one a lot like it at my “other job”. Mine didn’t have so many nice gadgets, like the tripod or the scope, but it was my “best friend” for a year when I was vacationing in beautiful Iraq. Since we were driving trucks, we especially liked the collapsible butt stock, making it shorter so we could get in and out of the trucks quickly. It’s a nice riffle, but it has it’s shortcomings. Carbon builds up quickly on the bolt, so after a dozen or so rounds it begins to jam up. It doesn’t like desert sand too much. We had to use silicon instead of oil based lubricant, even though the Army said it wasn’t allowed. But now I’m a Chaplain, and if I ever want to shoot one of those again, I’ll have to buy my own. Maybe in a few years.

• March 5th, 2011 at 17:54 | #12

M4s do not stop working after twelve rounds due to carbon build up. I’ve put literally three, four, five hundred rounds through mine, in one session, without it stopping, and no extra lubrication. The problem in Iraq and Afghanistan is the dust, that horrible stuff you had to put up with. That’s why using silicon, instead of oil, was a good move. That will seize up much less sooner in a dusty environment. This is the stuff I use: TW-25 grease