Home > Concordia Publishing House, CPH Resources, Lutheranism 101 > Lutheranism 101: Kindle Edition Now Available Along With Other New CPH Titles

Lutheranism 101: Kindle Edition Now Available Along With Other New CPH Titles

March 22nd, 2011

Greetings dear readers. I have good news. Lutheranism 101: Kindle Edition is now live on Amazon’s web site and ready to be downloaded. Keep checking Amazon for our latest Kindle title releases we have about 25 or so new titles that will be showing up over the next several days and weeks. As I write this blog post, we have a total of 102 titles in Kindle format. You can see them all here.

Other new offerings in Kindle format include, Kurt Senske’s popular book The Calling: How to Live a Life of Significance; Time of Grace by Mark Jeske; Blessings and Prayers for Expectant Mothers; On the Nature of Theology and Scripture by Johann Gerhard. A little something for everybody.

ePub versions of these books are also coming soon as well, sold directly from our CPH site. ePub can be used on a Nook and a variety of other devices.

Just FYI: People often ask about Apple’s iBookstore. At this point, due to Apple’s ever changing contractual demands, and the fact that the Kindle is, by far, still the leading eb0ok reading platform of choice: both the device itself, and the Kindle app for a huge variety of devices: computers, laptops, smartphones, tablets computers, Droid devices, Apple iPad, iPhone and iPod, we have not seen much need to move into the iBookstore when the Kindle format is able to reach far more people, less expensively and more robustly than

1. That Guy
    March 22nd, 2011 at 22:23 | #1

I find myself leaning more and more toward becoming Lutheran and I was curious if there is a cache of books such as what the Puritans put out and is now in the Puritan Paperback or Sola Deo Gloria publishing that is akin to Lutheran.

2. March 23rd, 2011 at 09:34 | #2

Hi, thanks for your comment.

Here is the best and most complete list of basic reading for those interested in Lutheranism I’m aware of:

3. Wayne Schaefer
    March 23rd, 2011 at 09:53 | #3

I love Kindle, especially since I bought an iPad. I have come to prefer it to iBook, except for reading PDF”s. Besides there is a much longer retrospective choice in Kindle. And Kindle has been improved recently by displaying pagination – but only some so far. Since Litheranism 101 is a recent addition, I was wondering why it is not paginated?

• March 23rd, 2011 at 09:57 | #4

I don’t know, that is a good question. I’ll look into this and report back.

• March 23rd, 2011 at 13:17 | #5

Wayne: Based on the research I’ve done this morning, this is a functionality that Amazon “flips a switch” on and they are doing this with their top selling titles and will be working at doing this with others.

4. That Guy
    March 23rd, 2011 at 14:17 | #6

Thank you very much. This is a great start. Isn’t it odd that there is not much between the Reformation and the 20th century compared to the English and Scottish vein of the Reformation continuing on through the time of the Puritans?

• March 23rd, 2011 at 14:25 | #7

“That guy” would you mind identifying yourself by name? I discourage anonymous commenting.

I don’t understand your comment, can you elaborate? If you are referring to historic Lutheran materials, I can refer you to a boatload of additional others materials. Please let me know.

5. Patrick
    March 23rd, 2011 at 14:29 | #8

I just got a Kindle and I am very happy with it. I have read the “try it” chapters to four different books from CPH and I am having trouble deciding which one to read first. Of course now I will probably start with Lutheranism 101, if I don’t decide to buy the actual book first. My only complaint was with some images on the kindle, mainly from the TLSB, they were hard to see.

I have to agree that I would like page numbers to use this with a study group using the physical book. Lets just make this a top selling title and have them flip that switch!

6. Scott
    March 24th, 2011 at 10:20 | #9

No problem. I have been referred to the book of Concord multiple times by several Lutheran friends as well as the works of Luther and Bonhoeffer. But this is like only being referred to the Institutes by Calvin and then skipping to John Piper when there are many books I have enjoyed from the Scottish and English Puritans from Owens and Edwards and the plethora of material that is publish in Puritan Paperbacks and Soli Deo Gloria. I am just finding a chasm or dearth in Lutheran material compared to Anlican/Presbyterian/Congregational literature.

• March 24th, 2011 at 18:18 | #10

Scott, I can refer you to works by Lutheran theologians from the time of Luther to the present era. I’m confused by your request.

Perhaps one of the things you are noticing is that because the sources you mention are writing in English to begin with, it is easier to find their works. I think you are overlooking that important point.

Lutheran theologians wrote in Latin or German, and I can refer to a number of helpful translations of their works.

7. Scott
    March 24th, 2011 at 22:26 | #11

You are right. I guess I am just so used to everything being readily available in English. It wasn’t til recently that Bucer’s works were made accessible in English.

• March 25th, 2011 at 07:44 | #12

I just realized reading your comment last night that the explanation is rather easy: language/translation issues!

If you are interested in pursuing an orthodox Lutheran theologians devotional writings, please check Johann Gerhard’s Sacred Meditations, Daily Excercise of Piety, etc. We sell them at CPH (http://www.cph.org)

8. Scott
    March 24th, 2011 at 22:27 | #13

The weird thing is, is that Bucer is who got me very interested in Luther.