Home > Shooting Sports > Happy Birthday Model 1911 and Thank You John Moses Browning

Happy Birthday Model 1911 and Thank You John Moses Browning

March 29th, 2011

Today is the 100th birthday of the Model 1911 semi-automatic handgun. Perfected by Mr. John Moses Browning and officially adopted on this day by the US Military: March 29, 1911. I’m into the shooting sports as some of you may know and I thoroughly enjoy my 1911, a Springfield Armory “Loaded” Model, which comes with the latest improvements to the 1911, but the same basic function and design remains the same. Chambered in .45 ACP, this pistol is a pleasure to own and shoot, as any 1911 owner will tell you. Do yourself a favor and don’t get a 1911 owner start waxing rhapsodic about it. You will either be bored to tears, or you will go out and get on yourself.

Here’s a great video on the 1911, made by one of my favorite YouTube shooters, Hickok 45, a high school history teacher who does a great job featuring various firearms, in an enjoyable way.

And here’s a little video I shot out at my gun range this weekend, in which you can see my 1911.

Categories: Shooting Sports
  1. March 29th, 2011 at 20:23 | #1

Are the bullets really called ‘Romeo y Julieta’? I’m trying to see any hidden meanings there….

2. Randy Keyes
    March 29th, 2011 at 20:35 | #2

Just clinging to your guns and your Savior, aren’t you? ;)

Randy

3. jonathan
    March 30th, 2011 at 12:30 | #3

the ‘romeo y julieta’ refer to a brand of cigar..a personal favorite, i might add..

the guns aren’t bad either!

4. Jean Johnson
    March 30th, 2011 at 13:13 | #4

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition! :)

5. tannen
    March 30th, 2011 at 13:28 | #5

What’s the max realistic range to practice on with the .45ACP? 25m?

• March 30th, 2011 at 13:39 | #6

If you can be proficient with a pistol at 25 yards, you are doing quite well. Handgun shooting is much more difficult than it is made to appear in television and movies where everyone hits everything no matter how they are holding the gun.

: )

6. March 31st, 2011 at 10:55 | #7

Paul,
    I’m happy to see that you are a 1911 aficionado. I’ve been the proud (but not too proud) owner of a Gold Cup series 70 since 1976. You might want to try the Walther P99 some time. It comes in 9mm, .40 S&W, and in the S&W version, 45 ACP. The name indicates that its quite a Lutheran pistol.

7. April 1st, 2011 at 20:36 | #8

I feel the same way about Brownings, since a childhood friend passed away and left me his father’s 12 gauge, 3 inch magnum “goose” semi-automatic shotgun. I know my reason is not quite the same as yours, and I am afraid to fire mine for the recoil could jolt the lenses from my cateract-corrected eyes, but I do get to take the ol’ boomer from the gun rack and wistfully and mistily remember the days when I hunted with its owner. Old guns, powder, and pheasant cackles do that somehow.