Home > CPH Resources > Take a Look at the Luther Graphic Novel Sampler

Take a Look at the Luther Graphic Novel Sampler

March 29th, 2011

I hesitated to post this because, well, it is not the world’s greatest video. I tried holding the camera in one hand, using the HD lens in my iPhone, which means I can’t see what’s going on while recording, and… well … anyway, here you go:

Categories: CPH Resources
  1. Kurt Cockran
    March 29th, 2011 at 17:45 | #1

When is it released?

2. Gary
    March 29th, 2011 at 19:04 | #3

I don’t own an iPhone but I saw someone who did use a Tripod/Adapter mount. I believe he got his from Amazon.

Look forward to the graphic novel.

• March 29th, 2011 at 19:31 | #4

Tripods are for sissies.

: )

Seriously, if I ever got…ah…serious about these silly little videos I make from time to time, I’d definitely get a tripod, actually, I’d use a real HD video camera.

3. March 29th, 2011 at 20:16 | #5

This looks really nice. This is a niche that is not being well covered by Christendom… and the few that I have seen are pushing false their doctrine with it.

All the focus on the latest technological craze tends to overlook the sheer volume of people who read comic books and graphic novels. Just go into a Barnes & Noble and look at the amount of shelf space devoted to it.

More Lutheran graphic novels would be a great way to engage modern teenagers with thier image-based learning style and short attention spans. :P

4. March 30th, 2011 at 09:29 | #6

Oh no!!!! CPH has bent the knee to the Relevance deity. Don’t you understand that the only true way to tell the story of Luther is in the German Language and with NO pictures. This is a travesty!!!

Not really.

This actually looks pretty neat. Will there be an iPad version for those of us who have made the switch to Digital books?

• March 30th, 2011 at 09:55 | #7

Yes, we are working on a number of things for a digital version.

5. Eric Garvue
    March 30th, 2011 at 09:47 | #8

I’m so happy CPH is doing this. I have a daughter (age 9) who struggles sometimes with reading comprehension and isn’t a “reader”, but she eagerly devours graphic novels. I will definitely be ordering this as soon as it is published.

Mike Baker is correct, there is a massive number of people who can be reached via this medium. I myself have given away several copies of CPH’s illustrated Small Catechism to my non-Christian gamer/comic book geek friends, and it has lead to great opportunities for witnessing.

6. March 30th, 2011 at 18:00 | #9

As a kid, one of the best thing that got my head around the general narrative of the whole Bible (and it’s timeline order) was the nightly readings from “The Picture Bible” with my father. It was essentially a Genesis to Revelation historical graphic novel that hit the highlights of the actual events. Was it a perfect resource? No. …but to this day, when the subject of Biblical history comes up, I close my eyes and can see the events unfolding in those illustrations. I have used it in the past in tandum with CPH’s “One Hundred Bible Stories” when a kid’s learning disabilities are too severe for traditional school work.

The years of Biblical instruction in private school (an hour a day until 4th grade) are mostly a blur to me, but I can still describe some of the pictures in that book. The medium made a lasting impression. I can only imagine where I would be today if it had been composed by some solid Lutheran authors and illustrators! :D