Home > Homosexuality > Homosexual Advocacy Group Claims “Progress” in Advancing Their Cause in The LCMS

April 10th, 2011

An ELCA pastor-friend of mine was kind enough to alert me to a fund raising letter that the gay-rights group, “Lutherans Concerned,” recently sent out, in which they claim they are working with certain “LCMS leaders” and making “some good progress” with “friends” in “LCMS leadership.” Lutherans Concerned is the lobbying group that, in close cooperation with ELCA leadeship, worked very hard to get the ELCA to embrace homosexuality as an acceptable “lifestyle.”

The letter makes a disturbing claim:

“Additionally, we are making some good, albeit very slow, progress with a few friends in The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod leadership, however details must remain confidential to protect them and our continued progress.”

The question is: Is this actually true? Much depends on how they are using the word “leader.” The Synod’s president and vice-presidents are clearly not those they have in mind. Frankly, I call “baloney” on this and assert that this organization is simply lying. Lutherans Concerned is well known for making all kinds of false assertions and doing whatever they need to do to advance the cause of homosexuality; however, it is also necessary to state that liberal organizations in The LCMS, like the DayStar organization, have in fact published materials that reflect this point of view. It is very small, and consists mostly of older retired, Seminex-era pastors and a few retired professors, but … one can never be too careful with these things and so we can be grateful to Lutherans Concerned for “coming out” on this issue. I would not know which “LCMS leaders” they are referencing, since, to my knowledge there is not a single LCMS “leader” who would support the Lutherans Concerned agenda. But they are making this claim.

The ELCA pastor who sent this to me said to me:

“You are only too aware of the devastating effect Lutherans Concerned has had in the ELCA, I wanted to let a few trusted folks in the LCMS know about this. I have no other info than this, but seeing as it comes from Emily Eastwood, it is pretty official. While I believe Missouri has strengths and resources lacking in the ELCA, still these are treacherous times. Share this with whoever you wish; if you want a copy of the entire letter just let me know and I will send one to you.”

Categories: Homosexuality
  1. PapaJoe
    April 10th, 2011 at 08:17 | #1

Satan working in the darkness – “details must remain confidential to protect them and our continued progress.”
    May we ever remain in the light of the Word!

2. Rev Steve Bliss
    April 10th, 2011 at 13:02 | #2

As a pastor who recently left the ELCA I am familiar with this group. My guess is that this is a very loose use of the word “leaders.” Probably a retired seminex guy or something like that looking for one last desperate moment in the sun. That said, I think you are absolutely right in bringing this out in the open. These people prey on apathy. I am curious as to whether Pres. Harrison has heard these claims.

3. Robert Buechler
    April 10th, 2011 at 17:10 | #3

Indeed, those of us who have been through the wars in the ELCA should be in prayer for our brothers and sisters in the LCMS, that they would be spared these attacks of the devil. I too wonder what they mean by “leaders” though. Given that they can’t speak frankly about who it is they are dealing with, it makes the whole thing smell even more fishy than it would be otherwise.

4. April 10th, 2011 at 20:48 | #4

I’ve never heard of this group but it’s very disturbing. Unfortunately, I guess nothing can be done about this. I just hope those who are stong in their LCMS faith don’t take something like this for fact.

5. Richard L. Wohlers
    April 10th, 2011 at 20:48 | #5

Send me a copy of the entire letter please. Just use my email address, unless you prefer to achieve the mailing by another venue! Thanks!

6. Larry Luder
    April 10th, 2011 at 21:37 | #6

Lutheran Concerned? Odd name for a lobbying group. Well a resolution was adopted by a 98 percent vote at the 2004 LCMS convention. It affirmed that on the basis of Scripture, marriage is the lifelong union of one man and one woman. Resolution 3-05A also urged members of the Synod “to give a public witness from Scripture against the social acceptance and legal recognition of homosexual ‘marriage.’” As a lay Lutheran, I’m flabbergasted at the leadership that this even came up for a vote. Did I miss something? I thought we are to in all wisdom teach and admonish one another. 98% is nothing to rejoice about. After all, the 2% are delegates, pastors and church leaders. So yes, I am concerned about the sheep walking in the these churches led by wolves to the slaughter. Imagine that, never mind God’s Word, in who’s name are they advocating homosexuality as acceptable “lifestyle”? Is my understanding correct, that these pastors are claiming to be standing in the stead of Christ and we allow it? How is it this be possibly happening in the cloak of darkness undetected?

7. Rev Dave
    April 11th, 2011 at 01:54 | #7

I think the LCMS should look into this. If such support exists, such a blatant disregard for Scripture should be grounds for immediate censure and expulsion.

8. Jonathan Trost
    April 11th, 2011 at 17:19 | #8

I believe that what has afflicted the ELCA on this issue will not be repeated among the LCMS.

Why? If for no other reason than that you’re not burdened in your constitution with the preposterous proviso that burdens the ELCA’s. That is, that at the ELCA’s biennial Church Wide Assemblies, the “Voting Members” must be at least 60% laypeople, and the balance clergy.

Consequently in Minneapolis, the lay people’s sense of “fairness”, “equity”, and “equality” won out, and superceded the recommendations of many of the church’s rostered theologians and pastors.

Only amendment of the ELCA constitution can prevent such similar error in the future.

9. Pastor Jason Reed
    April 11th, 2011 at 22:03 | #9

Rev. McCain,

Do you have any idea when the last time was that a pastor in the LC-MS was removed from the roster for the public teaching of false doctrine? One of the challenges we’ve faced as a Synod is that we sometimes forget St. Paul’s warning to St. Titus (3:10-11) – and Church Discipline has sometimes been cast aside – not a criticism, just a concern…

• April 11th, 2011 at 23:52 | #10

Hi Jason, that’s not really a question that is possible to answer, since when a pastor is removed from the roster, as happens regularly, the reason is not stated. So, I can’t even really speculate.

10. Tim Stout
    April 12th, 2011 at 13:39 | #11

The enemy of the LCMS knows our tendancy to devour our own. It is possible that this letter was “leaked” just to get LCMS pastors to begin trying to find out who these “leaders” are, so we will begin doubting one another and hurling accusations against one another. While I know that there are pastors and theologians who wear the LCMS brand who hold to moderately liberal theology and agenda, they are not leaders, by any stretch of the imagination. Besides, with a 94% vote that homosexuality is still a sin, even if they were “leaders”, they won’t get very far trying to lead the LCMS in that direction.

The worst thing we could do is to begin a hunt for these “leaders” and act like a bunch of homophobic hate mongers. I think we should pretty much ignore this as a tactic of the enemy to get us distracted from proclaiming the Gospel. Much has happened in the last several years to bring the LCMS back to the Gospel, back to Luther, back to Walther (which is all saying the same thing), and forward to the lost world. We should rejoice in this and let Satan scream and yell all he likes that he is making “inroads” into our church body. We know that we are a bunch of sinners, and that he makes “inroads” in thousands of ways every day, but that the gates of hell will never prevail against the true Church of Christ.

• April 12th, 2011 at 13:43 | #12

The price of faithfulness is eternal vigilance, Tim. Sticking our heads in the sand is not the proper response.

11. Tom Moeller
    April 12th, 2011 at 20:38 | #13

@Tim Stout
    “a bunch of homophobic hate mongers. ”

A phobia is irrational and a monger is a peddler or promoter. Neither word applies here.

There is nothing wrong with being a light cast upon sin no matter what postmodern psyco-babble words are used to discredit those who stand firm in the Word.

12. Rev. Paul Gramit
    April 14th, 2011 at 00:09 | #14

Why does John 8:44 come to mind when I hear about this ” ‘Lutherans’ Concerned” ring? (notice the additional quotation marks).

On our congregation’s (Trinity, Clinton, Mass) website, I’ve got an article I wrote and had posted two days after the ELCA’s Friday 8-21-2009 decision allowing openly homosexual clergy to serve, stating that, rather than being a sudden move, it was the fruition a long time coming. Many were surprised at the move; many others, who’d been observing, wondered, if anything, what took them so long.

Generally, where there’s such blatant, flagrant, ungodly standards (or lack thereof) such as this swarm’s promoting, there’s the scam language that goes along with it.

My current Sunday morning class is on comparative Lutheranism, using the excellent “What’s Going On” book — I think this Sunday I’ll mention, as a current events “tidbit” item, what this rabble is trying to pull. (By the grace of God — and I MEAN that — the folks out here, by and large, know the difference.)