Home > Book of Concord, CPH Resources > Why I Do Not Work in the CPH Design Department: First Look at the Concordia Triglotta Cover

May 26th, 2011

I’m happy to tell you that work on reprinting the Concordia Triglotta is progressing nicely and I’ll keep you posted on more details as plans shape up. We’ve got the cover design finalized. I thought you would like to see the “before” and “after” shot of the cover. First, the design I submitted to the design department. Second, the design they returned. I think their design is a little better than mine, not much, but only a little. I think my design inspired our team to greatness. Do you agree?

My Design

The CPH Design Department’s Design

1. May 26th, 2011 at 12:08 | #1

Paul, CPH has come such a long way in its design department. As a graphic design major from Mequon, I truly appreciate the aesthetic beauty of what CPH regularly produces. Often the authors, editors, and publishers are the ones who get recognition (and deservedly so) for the content of what is produced. I think CPH’s Design Department deserves major kudos for producing so many things that are pleasing to look at, at as well as read.

PS- Don’t quit your day job. =)

2. Rahn Hasbargen
    May 26th, 2011 at 12:43 | #2

In my mind, the only way they could have truly improved on your original design was to come back with a burgundy cover to match the other designs of the Essential Lutheran Library (After my last comment a while ago on the design of the compact editions, PLEASE realize I am only joking here…..It’s a running gag……:)).

3. May 26th, 2011 at 12:47 | #3

Will this Triglotta use the original 1921 English text or the updated text used in the Reader’s Edition? I guess what I’m asking is if this will be a straight reprint with a new cover and formatting or if there are further updates involved. Thanks.

4. Terry Maher (Past Elder)
    May 26th, 2011 at 19:33 | #5

Having the old Triglotta in print again is great news. The main value to me is the Latin and German texts. Will it continue to be available online (I’m asking because Past Elder, the blog, links to it)? Although I don’t have a Kindle, lots of people do; how about Kindle or other eReaders? And, has price been set?

5. Josh Hayes
    May 26th, 2011 at 20:10 | #6

O joy of joys! I think I’ll got sing a Te Deum now; thank you!

Btw, it would be great if there were an option to buy each of the three languages in its own standalone volume. Why take English and German with you when Latin will do? ;-)

6. Rev. Thomas Handrick, Sr.
    May 26th, 2011 at 21:10 | #7

Why not carry forth the now-common and recognizeable burgundy color?

7. May 26th, 2011 at 22:13 | #8

How much is this beautiful new book going to cost, if you can reveal such precious information this early in the process? Ballpark is okay.

• May 26th, 2011 at 22:48 | #9

We are going to do something a bit different. We are going to take pre-orders for the book and depending on how many orders we receive, we’ll set the price. This will be a small print run, so the more we can print, the lower the price can be. It is not going to be cheap or inexpensive, so the more people that pre-order it, the lower the price will be for everyone.

8. Christine
    May 27th, 2011 at 08:41 | #10

Pastor McCain, your design has an . . . er . . . um . . . gulp . . . “creative” look that the CPH version just can’t match :)

Glad to see another fine resources coming from CPH — will it be available as a eBook to us Kindle fanatics as Terry was kind enough to mention?

• May 27th, 2011 at 09:12 | #11

I know, Christine, the sheer beauty of it left me at a loss for words too, and I did it!

: )

9. JPHC
    May 27th, 2011 at 11:47 | #12

Yes! I remember going through the process of asking about it in the bookstore on campus and being told the rights had been sold to North Western and then upon going to NPH they told me that they had sold the rights back to CPH so I am so glad that it is a reality. NPH does still have a digital version for libronix, however I wanted the paper copy. Thank you, I truly believe that this should be the required text then at the seminaries rather than the overly gender neutralized kolb/wengert.

• May 27th, 2011 at 17:39 | #13

They did not sell the rights back to CPH, it was in the public domain and they simply stopped printing it.

10. Rev. Olson
    May 30th, 2011 at 22:38 | #14

Logos/Libronix needs this asap! I want the hyperlinks to the rest of my Concordia Collection!

• May 31st, 2011 at 09:45 | #15

You can buy the entire Triglotta in LOGOS format. It is published in LOGOS by Northwestern Publishing House.

11. Karen Keil
    May 31st, 2011 at 11:45 | #16

Would it be possible to let us know when the pre-orders option is open to order the hardback edition of the Triglotta? Just checked the CPH website and there’s nothing there for the Triglotta.

• May 31st, 2011 at 12:52 | #17

I will let everyone know as soon as we are ready to start taking orders, thanks for your interest.