Home > CPH Resources > My First Hymnal … Coming Soon From Concordia Publishing House

My First Hymnal … Coming Soon From Concordia Publishing House

September 30th, 2011

I am very happy to tell you about a great new resource coming soon from Concordia Publishing House. It’s titled My First Hymnal. Now children have a hymnal all their own . . . a treasured book as they grow and learn in faith. Specially designed for children up to age ten. It offers a good basic core group of solid, faithful hymns, with rich devotional resources throughout, and beautifully unique illustrations. You are going to love it. Here’s another one of my fabulously high-quality iPod videos for your viewing pleasure:

Categories: CPH Resources
  1. Paul Beisel
    September 30th, 2011 at 17:03 | #1

Yay!! Awesome. This is what I have been waiting for. It’s like Christmas in September.

2. September 30th, 2011 at 18:12 | #2

It might be too early to know, but will this hymnal have music for the hymns included, or just the words of the hymns? I’m not sure when children begin to learn music, so perhaps including such information would not be necessary for children below the age of 10. But I thought I would ask.

• September 30th, 2011 at 18:42 | #3

For sure the melody line, not sure if it will have full four-part music.

3. Ken Howes
    September 30th, 2011 at 20:00 | #4

Please have the four-part settings. I will almost certainly get this hymnal for my grandchildren; I will be teaching them the hymns and accompanying them on our piano or our organ.

• September 30th, 2011 at 20:05 | #5

Nope, sorry, not enough space for that, sorry. Goal is to get them to learn hymns, the melody line is there.

4. Matthew Frahm
    September 30th, 2011 at 21:06 | #6

Will this be out before Christmas?

5. Rev. Thomas Handrick, Sr.
    October 1st, 2011 at 02:23 | #8

Will (and if so how will) this connect to/with LSB? Will it lead children to LSB? I grew up in an age/time when TLH was the classroom hymnal/songbook from grade 1 on. Pastor Marks and I are working to get LSB into the classrooms and chapel setting of our congregation’s parochial school on the premise that it is for all ages and will help to further unite the church’s school with the school’s church, preparing the students for what happens in the worship setting of the church. Will this item hinder or help our efforts?

6. Rev. Thomas Handrick, Sr.
    October 1st, 2011 at 09:29 | #10

Thanks much for your quick response. It seems to be a good item. I eagerly look forward to seeing the finished product live and in person. God continue to bless the great efforts you and others are doing at CPH!

7. Austen Wilson
    October 1st, 2011 at 11:10 | #11

Please contain actual written musical notation. Kids can start learning piano as early as Kindergarten. My children’s choir is grades 2 – 5 and they are learning how to read music! Some of them already do read music, as many of them have learned various instruments in their elementary schools.

8. October 1st, 2011 at 11:11 | #12

Does this have any liturgies in it as well Paul? I remember when I was a little boy I had a book published by A-F (we were ALC then) that was an introduction to the liturgy (from the SBH) called – “The Little Liturgy”. It had no hymns in it and no musical accompaniment, but it was awesome for teaching the liturgy to kids – giving them a book (that was not so heavy as a hymnal) to hold in their hands and participate in the liturgy – as well as side bars explaining what each part of the liturgy was about. I’ve already recommended that the folks working on the ReClaim hymnal consider producing a resource of that type when they get around to releasing their hymnal.

9. Guillaume
    October 2nd, 2011 at 07:31 | #13

Does it have all the “catechism” hymns in it?

10. Michelle
    October 2nd, 2011 at 14:18 | #15

Will there eventually be a companion CD with all the hymns?

11. Brigitte
    October 3rd, 2011 at 09:19 | #16

I am thrilled. Melody line should suffice to keep things uncluttered and portable. Perhaps some chords.