Home > Mormonism > Survey of Mormons Proves that Mormons are Mormons

Survey of Mormons Proves that Mormons are Mormons

January 12th, 2012

The Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life has released the results of a survey of Mormons and the results prove beyond any shadow of a doubt that Mormons are Mormons. It is a very interesting survey and what caught my eye was this summary:

In one very interesting section of the new survey, respondents were asked several questions about what is essential to being a good Mormon. According to the survey, 80 percent said “believing Joseph Smith saw God the Father and Jesus Christ” is essential to being a good Mormon, 73 percent said “working to help the poor,” 51 percent said “regular Family Home Evenings,” 49 percent said “not drinking coffee and tea” and 32 percent said “not watching R-rated movies.

While many Christians who are, tragically, ignorant of what Christianity is all about, the survey demonstrates that Mormonism is not Christianity, not even a form of Christianity. At best, all we can say is that Mormonism is a cult that sprang from distinctly non-Christian heresies.

Categories: Mormonism
  1. Steph
    January 12th, 2012 at 21:50 | #1

The message of Jesus polluted beyond recognition… I find it so curious that people actually believe this and yet the simple message of Christianity remains impossible for some to accept. Sadness.

2. Jason Evans
    January 13th, 2012 at 00:01 | #2

I’ve always wondered if the story of Joseph Smith was blatantly stole from the story of Mohammed. There just seems to be too many parallels.

3. Pr. Mark Schroeder
    January 13th, 2012 at 08:09 | #3

@Jason Evans
    Yes, Jason there are too many parallels between Smith and Mohammed. Here is a quote from a 2000 First Things Article by Richard John Neuhaus comparing the two in the second paragraph:

“Some have suggested that the LDS is a Christian derivative much as Christianity is a Jewish derivative, but that is surely wrong. The claim of Christianity is that its gospel of Jesus Christ is in thorough continuity with the Old Testament and historic Israel, that the Church is the New Israel, which means that it is the fulfillment of the promise that Israel would be “a light to the nations.” The Church condemned Marcion’s rejection of the Old Testament, and she never presumed to rewrite or correct the Hebrew Scriptures on the basis of a new revelation. On the contrary, she insisted that the entirety of the old covenant bears witness to the new. While it is a Christian derivative, the LDS is, by way of sharpest contrast, in radical discontinuity with historic Christianity. The sacred stories and official teachings of the LDS could hardly be clearer about that. For missionary and public relations purposes, the LDS may present Mormonism as an “add-on,” a kind of Christianity-plus, but that is not the official narrative and doctrine.

A closer parallel might be with Islam. Islam is a derivative of Judaism and Christianity. Like Joseph Smith, Muhammad in the seventh century claimed new revelations and produced in the Qur’an a “corrected” version of the Jewish and Christian scriptures, presumably by divine dictation. Few dispute that Islam is a new and another religion, and Muslims do not claim to be Christian, although they profess a deep devotion to Jesus. Like Joseph Smith and his followers, they do claim to be the true children of Abraham. Christians in dialogue with Islam understand it to be an interreligious, not an ecumenical, dialogue. Ecumenical dialogue is dialogue between Christians. Dialogue with Mormons who represent official LDS teaching is interreligious dialogue.”

4. January 13th, 2012 at 08:17 | #4

I don’t disagree with the above. Maybe I’m a little suspicious, but does the timing of this survey have anything to do with the current front-runner for the GOP presidential nomination?

5. Pr. Mark Schroeder
    January 13th, 2012 at 09:10 | #5

@Rev. Lee Wenskay
    I would think so. 2 of the Republican front runners are Mormon and so people are interested.

• January 13th, 2012 at 10:02 | #6

Mark, is that true? I’m not aware of another Republican who is a Mormon running for president. Who are you thinking of?

6. Laurie Trlak
    January 13th, 2012 at 09:32 | #7

@Rev. Lee Wenskay
    I’m sure that has something to do with it, especially in light of that Texas pastor’s comments regarding Mormonism and Mitt Romney. The debate has definitely been reignited!

7. Pr. Mark Schroeder
    January 13th, 2012 at 09:39 | #8

A thought that may be off topic: As you infer, Pr. McCain: they know their stuff and the survey confirms they know at least one or more of their key doctrines, unlike many Christians. This brought to my mind this question: What is the status of “contemporary worship” in Mormonism? I would contend that it may be non-existent since their rites are probably considered given by their deity verbatim. Do they know their stuff because of their rites which stick to their doctrine, whoever false? (as does Islam) This would then be support for the saying, Lex orandi, lex credendi. fwiw.

8. Pr. Mark Schroeder
    January 13th, 2012 at 10:35 | #9

@ptmccain
    Yup. Jon Huntsman, Jr: from the Wikipedia: “Huntsman was brought up as a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS), and stated in a May 2011 interview with George Stephanopoulos of ABC News, “I believe in God. I’m a good Christian. I’m very proud of my Mormon heritage. I am Mormon.”[113]” But in the next paragraph it is clear that for a Mormon he is liberal in regards to the LDS.

Also: I have surprised many when I tell them that Harry Reid is also LDS. And I just read that Mr. Reid and his wife are converts!

• January 13th, 2012 at 10:58 | #10

Interesting…well, he is not a front runner though, that’s good to know.

9. January 13th, 2012 at 10:41 | #11

@Pr. Mark Schroeder
    P.S. For even further support of the way LDS can catechize: they have no paid clergy.

10. Karen Keil
    January 13th, 2012 at 11:34 | #12

Mormons do have standard prayers/rites for the institution of their version of the Lord’s supper, baptism and confirmation. Other than that, with no paid clergy they have a set format for services in which members give ‘talks’ and ‘testimonies’ using their own special vocabulary. They take pride in having Mormon services being the same worldwide so that you feel at home no matter where you are.

They have church-published textbooks and manuals to follow for Sunday School and seminary classes for their members. The Mormon Church does not want anyone departing from the church-prescribed materials/formats in the classes and services.

11. Steve Dawson
    January 13th, 2012 at 15:46 | #13

What bothers me is, they call themselves Christians. They even argue the point. If one wants to be a Mormon so go on, but don’t claim to be something that you are not.

12. MeToo
    January 13th, 2012 at 19:51 | #14

Bret Baier posed the question, a week or two ago on national TV, to Mitt Romney, “What is the most misunderstood thing about your faith?” Pardon my use of caps but it is used to show Romney’s own emphasis (I won’t go into the non-verbal communication) — Romney: “IT IS THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST and Latter Day Saints.” Was that an answer or a statement (of the name of his religion)? I think it was the latter but no one has called him on it. BTW, if one goes to the LDS website(s), what Mitt said and the term Mormon are used interchangeably on those sites. They will try to convince you that they are Christian and use terminology that naive “Christians” could all too easily find acceptable. Keep your kids … and adults away from those sites that are dangerous.

13. Dennis Finney
    January 13th, 2012 at 22:28 | #15

I live in Washington County PA this is where Joseph Smith stole the text for his writings from a Presbyterian minister in the village of Amity PA this was a story he wrote as a fiction novel he narrated the story to the locals many times way before Smith had the manuscript printed which mysteriously diapered from the printers earlier County records have documents of accounts of people who heard and saw the manuscript copies are in the Library’s of the area and in history’s and biography’s of the county amazingly the Ministers headstone has been defaced copies of the records have been cut so pages are missing so has pages been cut from books in library’s they have not got them all some records were saved in corner stone of an old building of the county’s and there are copies of the books in private library’s so yes a cult a following of one man who told another mans story and had a book printed by the way first copies of the book of mormon (Does not deserve to be capitalized) are printed author Joseph Smith now missing from copies of the morman book

14. Bill Salokar
    January 14th, 2012 at 06:40 | #16

We’re doing a study called Christianity, Cults, & Religions in our SS class for these reasons. I find it interesting that in every media interview of a Mormon or Mormon candidate, the interviewer fails to probe very far. They seem to be content to accept the answer that Jesus Christ is in the name of their faith so that must mean they are Christians. If they would probe just a bit deeper, the differences would become quite evident. The simple question “Who do you believe Jesus Christ is?” would suffice.

15. Diane Hammond
    January 15th, 2012 at 13:29 | #17

Last night (Jan. 14) on CBS news Mitt Romney said in response to a question about his faith,”I happen to believe Jesus Christ is the Son of God and my Savior.” He seems to be intentionally blurring the differences between Christianity and Mormonism. In fact, in an article in today’s NYT titled ‘A Theological Basis for Evangelical Christians’ Unease With Romney’ the reporter, Laurie Goodstein, puts one of the main differences rather crassly but succinctly, “On the most fundamental issue, traditional Christians believe in the Trinity: that God is the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit all rolled into one.” She then explains why Mormons reject the doctrine of the Trinity. I think reporters questioning Romney about Mormonism have to be ready with follow up questions. We need a good LCMS reporter like Mollie Ziegler Hemingway to try and nail Romney down about Mormonism.

16. January 16th, 2012 at 09:39 | #18

GIven all of your comments, would this influence your vote for President in the fall assuming Romney is the GOP nominee? I remember going down this road once before with JFK in 1960. Could someone help me out with the Luther quote regarding being ruled by an honest Muslim as opposed to a wicked Christian? Thanks.

17. January 17th, 2012 at 07:12 | #19

@Diane Hammond
    “We need a good LCMS reporter like Mollie Ziegler Hemingway to try and nail Romney down about Mormonism.” Why? Romney himself cited the Constitution in this regard: “The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States.” As a Lutheran, we do not need to administer a “test” to prove or disprove his orthodoxy. I would prefer a Christian, and in particular a confessional Lutheran who knows the two kingdoms theology, but the president could be a Jew, an atheist or Buddhist. If the President follows the Constitution, that is enough and given the current occupant of the executive office, more than enough and this is what is needed in the reign of God according to His left hand.

18. Dennis Finney
    January 17th, 2012 at 10:21 | #20

Mormonism starts with an understanding of God that rejects both monotheism and the Christian doctrine of the Trinity. The Mormon concept of God includes many gods, not one. Furthermore, Mormonism teaches that we are now what God once was and are becoming what He now is. This is in direct conflict with historic Christianity

19. Karen Keil
    January 17th, 2012 at 15:29 | #21

@Dennis Finney
    I’m ashamed to admit investigating Mormonism; nevertheless, the Mormon God doctrine was the deal breaker for me. The biblical doctrine of God was too compelling in its support from the Bible to ignore. No, I didn’t join or anything; just read up on them.

How one sees God has a massive impact on how one views himself and the world around him. Mormonism is very man-centered; Christianity is very God-centered. Lutheran church services have God come to us.

20. Rev. David Mueller
    January 22nd, 2012 at 19:40 | #22

Mormonism turns the Scriptures upside down. In a two-hour (or so) conversation on my front porch with two of their missionaries, I was probing, trying to see what these 2 guys considered the rock-solid assurance that their faith was right. It came down to pure, unadulterated “schwaermerism”–”I just know it in my heart!” And then, somehow we got onto Genesis 3, and the last veil came off. According to these 2 guys, at least, Mormonism actually teaches that Lucifer was telling Eve the *truth* when he said to her, “You shall be as gods….” So we are right back at that tree, with Adam and Eve, when we are considering Mormonism–whose word is the Truth? Who *is* the Truth, the Word?

As to the potential choice of voting for a Mormon (Romney) or a Fascist quasi-Unitarian–I’ll take the Mormon. Does the phrase “The Will to Power” ring any bells with you-all, concerning the incumbent?

• January 22nd, 2012 at 20:00 | #23

Ah, yes, the “burning in the bosom” which is key to every Mormon’s faith, the assurance that the Book of Mormon is true, upon which they “give their testimony.”

21. January 24th, 2012 at 13:26 | #24

@ptmccain And I have been told by a Mormon that testimonials are a key element in their weekly meetings.

22. Timothy
    January 24th, 2012 at 15:19 | #25

Speaking of presidential candidates, I think it’s interesting that three of the GOP contenders: Bachmann, Paul, and Gingrich, were all raised in Lutheran homes. Huntsman attended a Lutheran school, I believe.

23. Rev. Lee Wenskay
    January 27th, 2012 at 08:03 | #26

Interesting that only two responded to my question: Would Romney’s Mormonism influence your vote presuming he is the GOP nominee? (Given the South Carolina and the close polls in Florida that may not be a given) What say you Paul McCain?

@Rev. David Mueller Yes Dave it does. Leni Reifenstahl’s film on the 1934 Nurermberg rally, “The Power of the Will.” Read Jonah Goldberg’s Liberal Fascism. Frightening. See you next year at symposium Lord willing.
    Lee

• January 27th, 2012 at 10:25 | #27

I’m voting for whomever is nominated to run against Obama.

24. January 31st, 2012 at 08:41 | #28

Same here Paul. My candidate is ABO (anybody but Obama). I’m leaning toward Santorum. It’s a shame he’s not getting more support. By the time this gets to Michigan, he’ll probably be out of the race ufortunately. Hope I’m wrong.
    Lee
    P.S. I see Newt is the only candidate so far to speak out forcefully against the Administation’s policy enforcing regulations in adoption agencies, hospitals, and other institutions against their conscience on social issues such as abortion, homosexuality, etc.