Home > Roman Catholicism > Vatican Issues Rules on How to Determine if an Apparition is Legit

Vatican Issues Rules on How to Determine if an Apparition is Legit

May 23rd, 2012

When there’s something strange in your neighborhood…if there’s something weird and it don’t look good…

Categories: Roman Catholicism
  1. Kurt
    May 23rd, 2012 at 11:34 | #1

Video isn’t working.

• May 23rd, 2012 at 12:12 | #2

They revised it and put up a new link, it is working now.

2. Walter
    May 23rd, 2012 at 14:53 | #3

Who cares what the Vatican thinks,says, or proclaims?

• May 23rd, 2012 at 15:52 | #4

We should all care, Walter. Among many reasons, one is the fact that Vatican is the head of the world’s largest church body and influences countless millions of Christian souls. Your ignorant/who cares attitude is harmful and plainly just wrong.

3. Bernard J. Schey
    May 23rd, 2012 at 14:55 | #5

One should really begin by consulting the usual literature: Spate’s “Catalogue” and Tobin’s “Spirit Guide.”

• May 23rd, 2012 at 15:51 | #6

And be on the look out for symettrical book stacking. Just like the Philadelphia mass turbulence of 1947.

4. Frank C
    May 23rd, 2012 at 19:09 | #8

@Walter
    I wouldn’t go so far as to say ‘who cares’, but I don’t care how big Rome is – their decrees and rules are often wrong. I find disturbing those in our church who hang on Rome’s every word.

• May 24th, 2012 at 08:29 | #9

Frank, I don’t know what you mean by “hang on every word.” I know, in my own case, I keep a close eye on the Vatican for the reasons I’ve already indicated. The old “stick your head in the sand” approach never does any good.

5. May 24th, 2012 at 08:51 | #10

Although I didn’t personally get to see the whole video (it played for only a minute before shutting down), it is about time that some church group speaks up about the whole apparitions issue. I am not only speaking about Marian apparitions, but also those apparitions such as those shown on the Ghost Hunters type of shows. There is apparently
    a great interest in these apparitions in both the christian and non-christian communities. The people who investigate these apparitions use scientific instruments to verify the existence of the phenomena. Photos are also taken which definitely show that something
    is there physically. Tape recordings also verify voices coming from someone or some thing.
    So, as a christian, I, for one, want to know how these otherworldly images and sounds fit in to the christian religious belief system. I commend the Vatican for having an imput on this issue. At least they have an interest in the popular topic. Some people think apparitions are just demonic activity. Other feel that it is a proof of the survival of the human spirit after death. I know several Lutheran people that occasionally attend seances to speak with the spirits of their dead relatives ( whom I believe are really demons). In a way, this article has opened a pandora’s box that many didn’t want to be opened.

6. Jonathan Trost
    May 25th, 2012 at 10:25 | #11

@Walter

We care about what the Vatican “thinks, says, and proclaims” because much of it, but certainly not all, is what we “teach, preach, and confess”. That is why we are part of the “one holy, Christian and Apostolic Church”, along with others.

I am absolutley convinced that we Lutherans, on so many topics of dogma and doctrine, have much more agreement with Rome than we have with so much of contemporary American, so-called Protestantism, which has cast off many of the truths contained in scripture and the creeds, and regards them today as “unscientific” and “unenlightened”. For much of today’s American Protestantism, there is no such thing as “false doctrine”. “Heresy” is to them a “dirty word”. Orthodoxy is regarded as abhorrent to reason. Because of theological ignorance, many American “Protestants” would have today’s Church read “He descended into hell.” right out of the Apostles’ Creed, (if they’d even recite it.)

Don’t always be too harsh on Rome; rather, only when and as they need it.

7. Nils
    May 27th, 2012 at 12:39 | #12

Jonathan and Pastor McCain are right, we need to keep an eye on the Roman Church because they represent the largest body of Christians in the world, and they share many of our doctrines. To throw them away is to throw away most of our heritage as Lutherans. Is Rome wrong about certain things? Yes, very much so. But they shouldn’t be outright dismissed. If we are all part of “one catholic and apostolic church,” we’d best remember that we’re all in this together with them, their doctrinal errors not withstanding.

What I’d like to know is, what is the Lutheran approach to such occurrences (ie., apparitions)? Not that I’ve ever had one, or known anyone who has, but should we trust any reports of them? In the New Testament, only angels appear, or Christ himself. Since most Roman Catholic visions are of saints, what should we think of them?