Home > CPH Resources, Digital resources, eBooks > Concordia Publishing House E-Book and Digital Book Update

Concordia Publishing House E-Book and Digital Book Update

June 19th, 2012

I thought I’d give you an update on some new items available as e-books and discuss CPH’s position on e-books. As we all know, E-Book use and sales are rising rapidly, every year. From one year to the next, more people are buying and using e-book readers. At the present time, it is our position that the Amazon Kindle family of readers and applications across a wide range of devices remains the best option for the majority of our customers. And that is why we continue to focus on the Kindle platform. We are however continuing to make our e-books available as e-Pub files for folks who prefer to use that format. We are also exploring moving into the Nook format as well. More on that later.

What’s new in E-books from Concordia Publishing House?

Well, first of all, by way of reminder, we have a new arrangement with LOGOS software, which is the world’s largest, and in my opinion, the best dedicated proprietary software platform for using a huge range of books and resources, all indexed and cross-linked to one another via the Libronix search technology. Simply put, we no longer sell any LOGOS formatted resource directly on a CD-ROM, but now all our resources are available, via instant purchase and download, from LOGOS.COM. Here is our Concordia page on their site. The most recent volume to go live in this new arrangement is Concordia: The Lutheran Confessions. In the next several months you will be seeing more resources go live on the LOGOS site, including the more recent volumes of Luther, Gerhard and the Concordia Commentary series. So, please bookmark our LOGOS page and stay tuned.

By way of new e-books available on Amazon, there are several I’d like to draw to your attention:

Bearing the Cross: Devotions on Albrecht Duerer’s Small Passion

Faith and Act: The Survival of Medieval Ceremonies in the Lutheran Reformation

Little Visits with Jesus

The Problem of Suffering: A Father’s Hope

Law and Gospel: How to Read and Apply the Bible by C.F.W. Walther

And these are just some of the over 280 titles we have in Kindle format. You can see the complete list by clicking on this link.

1. Rev. Thomas Christopher
    June 19th, 2012 at 13:41 | #1

Paul,

On the Kindle site it says Law and Gospel is “under review.” Any idea when that will be available. Also, a few months back, if my memory serves me correctly, you mentioned a version of the Small Catechism for iTunes U. Any more information on that?

I really appreciate the electronic books CPH has available. It is good to be able to take these books with me on my Ipad wherever I go — they have served me well in several meetings. Still, nothing beats the old paper books, though!

Peace,
    Pastor Thomas Christopher

• June 19th, 2012 at 14:13 | #2

Thomas: I don’t have an answer for you, but I’ll look into it and report back here.

Re. the iBooks Author. Unfortunately, the software restricts the size of the file to the point that I was unable to build out the file as I would want it to be.

• June 19th, 2012 at 15:14 | #3

I found out from our team that we had a glitch in the file and we expect it to go live again in the next four to six weeks. Thanks.

2. Lisa Stapp
    June 19th, 2012 at 20:42 | #4

Paul,

I cannot tell you how utterly delighted that so many doctrinally sound books are becoming Lisa-accessible! I knew about the Kindle listing of books published by Concordia Publishing House. I knew about the new developments with Logos.

I just did not realize the riches opening up to people like me! I’m also glad that these books are available and convenient for others, but just having these available TO ME and others like me is a joy.

3. Kris
    June 19th, 2012 at 22:02 | #5

I have a Nook and an ipad. All of my Nook books I can transfer and read on my ipad. If I want to order an ebook to read on my ipad, will a Kindle format work? Also, if I don’t have LOGOS, can I still order the books? I have the Libronix Luther’s Works.

• June 20th, 2012 at 07:47 | #6

Yes, you can install the Kindle App on your iPad and read Kindle titles on it that way.

For support with LOGOS please call their toll free technical support number: 800-875-6467

4. Matt
    June 20th, 2012 at 12:51 | #7

@Kris
    Don’t know if this helps but:

There is a free Logos app for both the ipad and the android system. So far I have been able to read everything I have bought from the CPH logos system on both my ipod and my droid tablet without any problem. You can also order the CPH books from the droid app but not from the ipad app (Apple restricts direct sales from apps). So for the ipad app you will have to order through the Logos website.

At one time there was a fee to port the Libronix Luther’s Works to the Logos 4 platform in order to download them onto the ipad/droid. But I don’t know if they still charge a fee for that or not. Easiest way to check would be to download the app and sign into the account you created when you installed Libronix on your pc and see if you can download Luther’s Works or not.

5. Kyle Wright
    June 21st, 2012 at 11:48 | #8

Thank you for your timely update. I am finding that I use my iPad with the Logos app more than I do on my laptop. So, I am always anxious to hear about new releases of CPH products in the ebook format.

Does the reduced subscription rate for both the Concordia and Gehard series apply to these ebooks?

When do you expect to have the Catechism available in ebook?

When the Apocrypha is released, will it be available in ebook format? Will a discount be available if I were to purchase both the printed and ebook at the same time?

• June 21st, 2012 at 12:30 | #9

No, we are unable to offer any subscription to either KINDLE or LOGOS files since they are sold by Amazon and LOGOS directly.