The More You Know…. Apocrypha Insights
Did you know that before the English speaking Lutheran church “lost” the Apocrypha in the Bibles it used, the Apocrypha was a very natural part of the Lutheran Church’s life together?
- Our Lutheran Church had Apocrypha readings in our German-language lectionaries.
- We celebrated saints from the Apocrypha in our saint-day calendars.
- The first Missouri Synod Small Catechism with Explanation published was the Dietrich Catechism.
- Johann Conrad Dietrich (1575-1639), who compiled the explanation for that catechism, preached an entire series during the Sunday Divine Services from the Apocrypha book of Wisdom. Imagine that!
- Further, every German Bible ever printed by Concordia Publishing House had the Apocrypha in it.
“The more you know about Lutheranism, the Lutheraner you get.” ® © ™