Home > Uncategorized > The Privilege of Voting

The Privilege of Voting

November 6th, 2012

Each time I have the opportunity to vote it is such a thrill and honor just thinking about what a blessing and privilege it is to live in a country where we are free to vote, to shape our futures, and to celebrate the inalienable human rights that are recognized by the USA and enshrined in our US Constitution. And I also think that this is very least I can do, in light of the enormous personal sacrifices made by those who have given the last full measure of devotion to our freedoms by serving, and dying, in our armed forces.

If you do not vote, I’d like to know why. Care to share?

Categories: Uncategorized
  1. Kyle Wright
    November 6th, 2012 at 15:37 | #1

You really want to feel the greatness of our country? As a Federal Agent, I am always awe struck every time I walk into a court room to testify. It is not the judge, nor the prosecutor, nor the defense. It is those twelve citizens who decide the merits of the case. It is those twelve every day people who are truly defending and protecting their neighbors and their loved ones.

It is amazing that this country places so much in the hands of its citizen. God bless America and continue to defend and protect her and the true ideals she was built upon.

2. November 7th, 2012 at 15:30 | #2

I did ultimately vote, but since I seriously considered not doing so, I guess I’ll answer.

If there were only one candidate on the ballot and other people got to select that candidate, voting would not be a particularly meaningful privilege. I believe our situation is similar.

In this presidential election, the differences between the major candidates were, for the most part, rhetorical. The actual records of President Obama and Mr. Romney were not substantially different. Furthermore, on the Republican side, at least, the candidate was selected by party officials and a media that hates Republicans. We allowed them to run an unaccountable meta-election during and before the primaries that determined which candidates were “electable” or “viable.” The end result is that the course of this country’s leadership was determined well before Nov 6th–and not by the people. We merely got to decide whether the President has an ‘R’ or a ‘D’ after his name.

In short, at the highest levels of government, we have less of a two party system and more of a single party system with two factions. The ability to frame both sides of an election is far more powerful than deciding who wins it. I therefore considered not voting because I did not want to legitimize the fiction of American self-governance by participating in it.

So why then did I vote?

1) We allowed this situation to come to pass by the way we vote. I don’t believe there is a solution, but I don’t want to be part of the problem either.

2) There are other options than the two major parties, and I exercised one of those.

3) Local elections do still matter–the problem isn’t with voting per se.

• November 7th, 2012 at 15:35 | #3

I take a more simple and less nuanced approach:

I just hold my nose and mark my ballot!

: )

3. November 7th, 2012 at 15:51 | #4

Well, that is the point. Ballots shouldn’t stink year after year. :) If you have to hold your nose to mark the ballot, there’s either something wrong with the ballot or something wrong with your nose. Until someone shows me otherwise, I believe the problem is with the ballot.

• November 7th, 2012 at 16:10 | #5

I vote for whomever I think would do the least harm and the most good. I don’t throw my vote away just trying to “make a point” to which nobody will listen or care, anyway. Voting is not about making myself “feel good” or “making a point” it is about serving my neighbor and if I vote for a person who has no possibility of winning, I consider that a wasted vote.

4. Matt
    November 7th, 2012 at 19:27 | #6

I voted for a 3rd party candidate because I could not in good conscience vote for a Mormon. I saw too many people on the Christian Right labeling Romney as a Christian and denying that Mormonism was a cult for political expediancy, which in effect raised the flag higher than the cross. Plus the absolute last thing that this multibillione dollar corruption needed was to be in the White House and for their 50000 missionaries to be able to point to most powerful man in the world as their poster child and further confuse the harvest of the body of Christ. Before this I was a life-long Republican.

I do not feel like I threw my vote away because I voted for the nations third largest political party which had 100% higher turnout this time than when Ron Paul ran for said party in 1988. Did my candidate win? No, but the influence of this party is growing and this is the only way for a third party to emerge in this de facto two-party system. Biopolys actually styfull efficiency and quality as we see in our system today.

5. jb
    November 7th, 2012 at 22:38 | #7

Dashing all over the pastoral map the last 18 hours, home visits, outlining Sunday’s effort and choosing hymns and quotes and announcements and somehow squeezing in 6 hours of sleep, a shower and too many cups of coffee – of which I drink much more than my other beverage of choice . . . I also danced the net and listened to AM radio talk shows and discovered (nah, I knew) . . . we re-elected the same Caesar again. Big whoops. I predicted it in writing almost 12 months ago. Save the world ending, it was like predicting the sunrise.

So I hardly feel a qualm of conscience for not having gone to vote.

Nah . . . I’ll pass. Pax

• November 8th, 2012 at 04:12 | #8

Poor excuse for why you do not vote, pastor. For shame.

6. November 10th, 2012 at 12:05 | #9

I did vote, though the next day I woke up to find out I no longer have a country. We get the government we want and deserve. Re Romney being a Mormon, what is Obama? I followed Luther’s admonition that he would rather be governed by an honest Turk than a crooked Christian (or words to that effect). BTW Matt, what are you going to do when the HHS mandate on forced abortifacents goes into effect. YOu will always get the lesser of two evils because we are all sinners. In the case of the Anointed One, he does not fall into that category (at least in his opinion) Heil Obama!

@Matt

7. November 11th, 2012 at 16:39 | #11

It’s not the same country I grew up in and served in the Navy Paul. We have an entitlement mentality in this country where the majority only care about what is in it for me. They do not care about the unemployed, the massive debt we are foisting on our grandchildren, the cover-up in Bengazhi, nor the threat posed to religious freedom posed by this administration, not to mention the continued slaughter of the unborn. Is this the country you want? Is this the country you grew up in?

8. Jim_777
    November 11th, 2012 at 19:23 | #12

Pastor McCain, you’re kind of a liberal, aren’t you?

• November 12th, 2012 at 08:20 | #13

Yup, that’s me. One of those wild and wacky liberals!

9. Doug
    November 13th, 2012 at 11:09 | #14

Voting is immoral, and Christians should abstain from it.

and more: