Home > Uncategorized > This is VERY Important: My Coffee Discovery and Revelation

This is VERY Important: My Coffee Discovery and Revelation

January 12th, 2013

415AQMKJ3WL._SY450_I know I talk about a lot of things you probably think are really, really important, but now…I’m ready to reveal one of the most important things I’ve ever posted on: a new discovery in coffee making.

Yes, coffee making. My wife totally rocked my world when she purchased for our family a Keurig coffee maker. I was highly skeptical. Boy, was I ever wrong! A few weeks later and I’m loving it still.

Why?

High, very high, temperature of water, applied to coffee grounds, sealed in an airtight container. High, very high, temperature of water applied to coffee grounds, sealed in an airtight container….at high pressure.

It’s kind of a whole Espresso machine meets French Press meets very fast coffee maker thing. And it is …. delicious.  I’ll include a picture that you can click on to the Amazon site where you could buy the very one we have, there are other, less expensive models. My wife also got us a Keurig cup holder on which the coffee maker sits, VERY convenient. I just picked up some Starbucks Sumatra cups today and….awesome.

In fact, I went to a Starbucks location the other morning and ordered my “regular” – dark roast, with cream and three sugars and … was VERY disappointed. The Keurig has spoiled me. I have a cup, set on the most intense setting, before I work out and then another couple cups on the way in to work. I’m happy as a clam, and having said that, please permit me to observe the following. How can we possibly measure the happiness of clams? And how did that expression ever gain a foothold in English parlance?

Here’s the one we got, on a great sale at Sam’s Club.

Categories: Uncategorized
  1. January 12th, 2013 at 15:42 | #1

We’ve been Keurig users for at least three years and love our machine. Buying a My K-Cup means you can brew your own kind of coffee in the machine. We have two My K-Cups (one for me and another for my wife) and find that a coarse grind of the whole bean works best for the Keurig.

The model pictured above is what we have, too. Because our water has a high lime content, we have to descale our machine about once a month, sometimes every three weeks. Descaling keeps the coffee tasting fresh and unclogs the machine from the lime buildup. Distilled white vinegar does the trick with at least 2-3 flushes after descaling.

Enjoy your Keurig!

2. John Marquardt
    January 12th, 2013 at 18:47 | #3

Pastor — I’ve had a Senseo since they first came out. Over 8 years old now — the longest that I’ve ever had a coffee maker.

When you find out how much it costs per month you’ll probably want to buy an insert where you can add your own freshly ground coffee for an even more perfect cup of coffee.

I’ve been buying beans at Costco and Trader Joe’s.

Enjoy.

3. Guillaume
    January 12th, 2013 at 19:32 | #4

A clams happiness is measured by the temperature, muddiness and amount of food in its environment. Our happiness is dependent on the temperature, and amount of butter and garlic when said clam is on my plate.

You should try roasting your own coffee beans. A hot air pop corn popper does great but you must do it outside.

4. January 12th, 2013 at 20:02 | #5

Best. Invention. Ever.

5. January 12th, 2013 at 20:40 | #6

Oh ! I think that she forgot to tell you that this year, your family is giving up coffee for Lent! LOL

6. January 13th, 2013 at 11:46 | #7

Keurig. Is it made in Germany? Also, in light of Our Leaders possible executive orders, I am seriously considering purchasing a firearm or firearms. A rifle and pistol before they are totally banned and I need to hide them in the rafters. Any recommendations? Also, how did you get involved in this as a hobby? As ever, your amptsbruder, Lee Wenskay

7. Dennis E. McFadden
    January 13th, 2013 at 15:15 | #9

You convinced me! However, the deal is even better than you said. My Sam’s Club included a “bonus pack” including a water filter ($18), a personal K-cup reusable kit ($18), and a selection of 36 coffees ($18). Assuming that one would want all three anyway, that brings the $130 cost at Sam’s Club down to a cool $65!!!

• January 14th, 2013 at 07:25 | #10

Awesome, come to think of it, that’s why my wife got too. Now I feel even better about it.

8. Bruce
    January 14th, 2013 at 13:50 | #11

@lee wenskay
    A co-worker just introduced me to the Taurus Judge. It’s a revolver that can fire either .45 ACP or .410 shotgun shells. It’s five shot so maybe it won’t get banned.

9. Bruce
    January 14th, 2013 at 13:51 | #12

My wife bought and old, electric percolater at a church thriftstore and cleaned it up. It makes very hot and very good coffee.

• January 14th, 2013 at 13:55 | #13

Oh, heavens….percolators just run brewed coffee back over itself. Horrors.

: )

10. Bruce
    January 14th, 2013 at 14:41 | #14

Well at least the shiny stainless steel percolater looks prettier than your Keurig :-)

11. Jonathan
    January 15th, 2013 at 14:34 | #15

These babies are great, but they clog up real fast on you, even with high quality water from reverse osmosis.

You’ll know she’s clogged when the reservoir uptake slows and it won’t spit out a full cup. Very frustrating.

Keep a couple gallons of white vinegar on hand and run a couple tank fulls through once a month.

35 cents per cup at Costco is the cheapest we’ve found, so that’s still a luxury treat.

So we mostly use the grind your own K-Cup filter.

• January 16th, 2013 at 08:31 | #16

Good suggestions. We use filtered water in ours, but I hear that it is smart to do what you suggest regularly.