Home > Sanctity of Life > Bird, Turtle and Fish Eggs Have More Protection in the USA Than Unborn Human Beings

January 24th, 2013

774971_154565054693245_641727558_o

Categories: Sanctity of Life
  1. January 24th, 2013 at 20:36 | #1

We as Lutheran Christians tell others about Jesus and what the Bible says on sanctity of life. We don’t force them to believe as we do but allow God to work. We, in my opinion, as a body of Christ should be pro-life. But what of those who are not Christians?

My late mother was always pro-choice as she felt that the government and politics should stay out of this area. She felt that if a person was a Christian and wanted to be pro-life, fine. But that no one should force another to be pro-life. Like my mother, I am an LCMS Christian and feel that we cannot force another to believe as we do. Although Mom and I would not do this ourselves, Mom said what happens those non-Christians who want an abortion? Do they go back to coat hangers and alleyways? Mom grew up with that and defended every woman’s right to be a Christian or not, to be pro-life or not.

I have purposely stayed out of any previous discussion all these years on blogs, etc. due to hate mail. But honestly, this is my opinion also. Some pro-lifers go to extremes with these horrible videos and upset many people. Who said they can force this on someone else? Would they force their religion?

2. Tom Moeller
    January 25th, 2013 at 14:37 | #2

A law to protect. Where is the force that is extraordinary to civil conduct?
    A law to prohibit theft or murder is not compulsion to adhere to an belief, it is a control on a distructive force within society (man’s heart).

If a person doesn’t believe your property is not yours… should we respect that belief?
    Wrong is wrong and that is a very Christian stand.

3. January 25th, 2013 at 19:34 | #3

I am not clear on this answer:Law to protect. Did you grow up as I did when there was no law and girls went to homes for unwed mothers? They were run largely by Catholic churches. The girls gave up the child or kept the child born. Did the LCMS have any of these? I don’t know of any in the East back in late 1950′s- early 1960′s. Yet there were those that tried and died the ugly abortion way.
    So the advent of the Roe vs. Wade law led to the closure of these homes and less adoptable babies. After the law was passes, and clinic opened for abortions, there were still those who would go one time and repeat that as a ” method of birth control” but the majority of women and girls had one, the clinics instruction materials, and did not repeat an abortion.

Without giving you any background at all, I am saying that I have more info than you on these 2 methods. Sure, making a law will close all the abortion clinics but the churches will then need the social networks to take the unwed mothers in like before or some will try anything to abort.

Okay, we LCMS are pro-life and should be. A law passed will not solve the problem as it has to be a change through witnessing by us to non-Christians, the Holy Spirit bring them to Him, and the person rejecting that they have a “choice”. You can pass a law against theft but it woll still occur. It will have to be a change in a person through the Holy Spirit, etc.

The beliefs that a non-Christian has can’t be changed by force of a law. Maybe you or someone came help me understand better how a law would change this.

• January 26th, 2013 at 08:26 | #4

Susan, the point simply is this. Laws can and do prohibit murders.

4. January 26th, 2013 at 11:32 | #5

Thanks for the simple point. I understand your view point.
    Laws are designed for 85% so that would accomplish your goal. Stop the murder of the unborn. Period.

I agree with that.

My concerns are more complex: “what happens next?”, “where do the pregnant women go?”, so they are beyond that law. I am also concerned about the 15% of women who are not Christian and will try anything at all costs to abort. I have lived during that era. I hope you can understand my viewpoint.

5. Amanda Stepanek
    January 27th, 2013 at 18:12 | #6

Susan, the January 2013 edition of the Lutheran Witness has many articles that I think you would find helpful. I’m certain that most non-Christians would agree that murder is wrong. Religious beliefs aside, society has to have some moral standard. The article titled “3 Ways to Talk about Life” gives awesome insight in how to clarify the key issue in the abortion debate. This comes from the second paragraph. “Are the unborn human? Are the unborn full-fledged, living members of the human race who just happen to be really tiny and still developing? Or, are they just blobs of cells? If the unborn aren’t human, then we don’t need a reason to commit an abortion. But if the unborn are human, no explanation for abortion is good enough.” The article goes on to build a case for life and answer objections.
    As to your question, “what happens next?” Check out page 13. I pray that you can get your hands on a copy! While reading I was inspired, convicted, educated, and blessed through the pure gospel message running throughout the publication.